swapping front steering knuckle

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

swapping front steering knuckle

Postby damion russell » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:00 pm

Is it possible to change my steering knuckle over to somthing more modern i was looking for an inexpensive way to do this hoping that it would solve a brake project that i had .i Thought it would be simpler than sifting through an arrayment of bits to solve this problem and just change the whole front.
damion russell
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: swapping front steering knuckle

Postby pbottomley » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Errr steering knuckle? Is this something other than what i think it is? If you mean steering tie rod end, then its got sweet fa to do with brakes, if you mean the whole front axle, then nope only another viva one will fit off the shelf, so your back to sorting out the existing brakes, stop fing sbout and just fix them.

:goodideasign:
pbottomley

Postby damion russell » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:51 pm

have you any ideas for me then as im just a novice really
damion russell
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:00 pm

Yes repair and adjust the present brakes... seriously you say your a novice, does that extend to your mechanical knowledge and or ability to use a spanner... Seriously its hard to know how much knowledge folks have form just a few posts... :?

That said if the brakes were un-balanced at the MOT then your first job would be to re bleed the brakes and see how that helps. 90% of the time the air in the brakes lines makes the brakes feel soft and ineffective.

From there i would check the servo (assume one is fitted) and the hose tot he inlet manifold for leaks

last item would be new pads in the callipers (assume discs are okay) the replace the rear shoes.

Where you find a parts that seized or leaking repair it... ask here bt be very specific about the part you are on about, use images and most important get a Haynes book...

:goodluck:
pbottomley

Postby Paul Dawson » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:21 pm

Put your location in your details as well. If there's someone local who might offer a bit of advice they at least know where you are then.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby damion russell » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:14 pm

im in ansdell near blackpool 14 winsdor road fy81ah tel 07925984698 if theres anyone around that can help
damion russell
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby black8driver » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:50 am

Knuckle is an american term for upright. Sometimes called hub carrier. .
I dont believe anything fits on without mods.. but brake parts or upgrades are easy enough on vivas anyway..
Si
black8driver
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Modifications