HC front archliners ?

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

HC front archliners ?

Postby junkyarddog » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Anyone out there managed to fit plastic archliner from a modern car into a Viva HC?,
the tin ones on my current project are rotten,so was just thinking what are,if any alternatives?
Thanks,JYD.
Have a pic.
Just one more turn should do it....
junkyarddog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: HC front archliners ?

Postby dann01 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:50 pm

Is that a MkII Capri I spy in the bck ground of the pic? :)

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby junkyarddog » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:36 pm

Yes,a 2 litre ghia 8)

junkyarddog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby viva power » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:37 am

When I bought a viva that had been barn stored upon looking under the front arches there were liners in there, turns out they were some kind of aftermarket part made for the viva thats made of aluminium with a rubber edge to it and they fit really well and under the wing was like new. I was thinking of making some kind of template so others could benifit from my find but have no idea how to go about it.
viva power
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bikingnutcase0 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:55 am

I'd possibly be interested in a copy of a template, my car has nothing there bar gaping holes edged with razor-sharp rusty shards! Are the liner panels flat, I.E. no compound curves? If so a peice of card/wallpaper lining paper could be offered up, and depending on the shape of the edge it butts up against either gently tapped around with a ball-pien hammer, or cut with scissors until the shape mirrors the panel you're trying to replicate. This is how I was intending to produce some panels to keep the *Bleep*/road dirt out of the gap between my wing and A-pillar.

I find if there's a sharp corner it's sometimes easiest/most accurate to use the ball-pein hammer, (rather like making gaskets), but I suspect under the front wings its just rounded pressed panels and it'd be a case of trial and error with the scissors, cutting it by eye/guesswork to slightly larger than the panel needs to be, then painstakingly trimming it until it fits.

Usually what happens when I do it is I end up with something sligtly too small, then mark the bits that are too small with marker pen, trace it out onto a new sheet of card/paper, cut it out with a little extra meat where the first template is marked with pen as being too small, then go back and adjust again. eventually you end up with a template that is within a few mm.

Very time consuming though I'm afraid, however you might find that each side is just a mirror-image of the other, so you would maybe only have to do it once!

Owain.
Biodiesel- Come in and smell the future!
bikingnutcase0
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby viva power » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:49 am

It could easy be made from a flat piece but I think there are some strengthening ridges in there. Should be fairly simple to do but as always its finding the time :roll:
I'd be happy to offer templates to people once I've got it all sorted.
viva power
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby junkyarddog » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:07 pm

viva power wrote:When I bought a viva that had been barn stored upon looking under the front arches there were liners in there, turns out they were some kind of aftermarket part made for the viva thats made of aluminium with a rubber edge to it and they fit really well and under the wing was like new. I was thinking of making some kind of template so others could benifit from my find but have no idea how to go about it.

Interesting,any chance of a photo of the liners,please?

I was thinking along the lines of fitting a plastic liner from a modern car and trimming it to suit,
but all modern stuff have macpearson struts,so they all have holes for the struts to pass through.
junkyarddog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby viva power » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:12 pm

I can get some pics in the next week.
viva power
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:55 pm

Have a look at my thread on the DSG Forum and see how I made my liners - simplicity itself. At the bottom of the page on this link.

http://droopsnootgroup.yuku.com/topic/7 ... ect?page=3
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby junkyarddog » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Thanks,bit late though,
I just finished making some alloy ones today.

They still need a seal fitted around the edge.
Not the prettiest,but functional.
junkyarddog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Modifications