better brakes for an HB

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

better brakes for an HB

Postby womble » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:15 pm

Rite, so my HB has got drum brakes, I know that magnum front clip is pos the best way to go, but stugling for find one at the moment (anyone got one preston southport way?)
So I was wondering , is hc and hb identical except for stubaxles? if so I could just fit HC didc stubaxles to my suspension and work from there?
Another option would be to make caliper cariers that pick up from the drum bolt mounts? I have done this on my imp , but smaller brakes and less power and weight on the front? anythoughts?

Just discoverd I had missed a front end of a friend who is 2 miles away, 2 weeks toloate, opppps
Plan is posably to go for volvo 4pots and carlton discs, had this set up an a chevette years back and it worked for me :) could go bigger on disc and maybe lighter caliper this time thou? plan is for 15 inch wheels.

So any advice ? anyone got hc disc fornt clip? stub axles? magnum clip? would magunm stubaxles fit HB arms?

Womble :)
When i looked in to my future , it said" destined to never grow up, but my toybox will get bigger"
womble
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: better brakes for an HB

Postby womble » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:23 pm

ok, save confusion , a friend just pionted out its the americans that call iy a front clip, opps ment front subframe, still looking :)
When i looked in to my future , it said" destined to never grow up, but my toybox will get bigger"
womble
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Jeremy Oxton » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:01 pm

As far as I know HB and HC front suspensions are identical, so HC discs should be a bolt-on swap, but do check it out, as I personally have never swapped parts between HB and HC suspensions.
Jeremy Oxton
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby womble » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:53 pm

Hi Jeremy, I got the impresion , the diskbrake ones had a different casting on the stub axle to carry the caliper? and I also thought the disk brake hub carried the disk on the back edge of the hub, I am guessing the drumbake hub would not have the drillings for the disk?

Womble
womble
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby hbpeter » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:13 pm

You need the disc stub axles as far as I know.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby 1972nail » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:23 pm

Yes, you need everything between the ball joints including the hubs, bearings and brake hose. The steering arm is all that can be swapped over.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to Modifications