wifes 1256 with mappable ignition

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

wifes 1256 with mappable ignition

Postby black8driver » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:00 pm

hi all
i bought a nice little 2door viva 1971 from steve on here. and got it up and running.
very few things for mot and she drives its daily ferrying my 3 year old son to and from nursary doing the shopping etc..
and she loves it..

firstly a pic.

i really dont want to drop another engine in and want to keep it pretty original.
however as its used everyday i have started to do a few little "tweeks" to make it more friendly
more power is one thing but really its a nice little engine and i dont want it cammy or change its character too much.
so im going to make the best of this little engine without "tuning" it too much.
i thought i would start with the ignition as the dizzy is worn and modern replacement points seam to last a matter of months so electronic it is then..
ok i could get a little ebay module to replace the points but as we developed a mappable ignition system called NODIZ at work i may well use one myself..

its easy stuff to fit. ive fitted a few and its dead easy..
first off I'm going to run it 2d at least untill I fit the bike carbs so its an easy 6 wire job..

firstly a pic of the old dizzy and coil std setup..

first I remove the front pully to fit a trigger wheel..

std ford type pattern of 36-1. although we are just testing the code for more trigger wheels for O.E patterns such as 60-2 (bmw vag pretty much anything bosch)

we had a second hand one at work of our orig test rig so I chop it off and late it out and lathe the pully true..

weld it on noting the desired 90 degrees btdc for the missing tooth passing the crank sensor. as I'm fitting the sensor at 90 degrees on the passenger side I fit the trigger wheel with the gap at the bottom (6 o clock) when at tdc with the sensor at around 3 o clock when looking from the front of the engine..

(the accuracy is not really too important actually as it can be zeroed with a timing light just hold down one button on the NODIZ whilst I turn on the ign' then press the buttons to make small increments of adjustments up or down till its on tdc real easy no laptop etc necessary then off with ignition and its done.)

I make a mount to fit the crank sensor off 2 bolts for the timing case.

ok other than somewhere to actually mount the NODIZ (i decided inside the car under the dash) and mounting a coil (std ford type coilpack for inexpensive reliability) (thanks for the mount steve ;))
there is just a matter of fitting the ht leads and wiring up 6 wires..

where the NODIZ will live..

the coilpacks home!

a few wires in process of soldering..

yes it really is that easy!..

oh and the NODIZ ecu in question..

all wired up now and a lot tidier (will fit a cut down dizzy when I get chance and extra loomed tail is the 2 wires I need for the tps sensor when I get around to running it 3d)

ok so whats it like???

well we very briefly tweeked the mapp on the way home via bluetooth on the laptop and yes its works very well.. feels a lot smoother and more responsive but will update with a dyno printout before and after when I get it back on the dyno..

there is loads of little extras this little box will do including coolent temp and air temp corrections to allow for easier starting and no pinking under very hot engine conditions.
programmable soft cut and hard cut rev limiters.
launch control.
tps or map load adjustment for 3d mapping.
tach output for either 5v (modern) of 12v tachos..

even has a free android app for digidash as std that shows engine and air temp, rpm, and even speed through your androids gps.

there is a lot of little tweeks to be released soon on the NODIZ. even a full 8 cylinder version (will be using my plymouth barracuda as one of the development mules in the not too distant future)

will get more pics a dyno printout and verdict on its performance as soon as ive used the car enough to give a reliable mpg and all driving condition test on it..

si
black8driver
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: wifes 1256 with mappable ignition

Postby black8driver » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:12 pm

ok ive mapped the ignition on the dyno and have graphs to show..

the before graph is one I did a few weeks ago on the std ignition it was done as a std baseline when we were trying out some ign boosted thing for a customer as a before graph so it was scaled different and we hadn't set up the speed correctly on the dyno so to get the graphs in scale ive used roadspeed instead of rpm..
ive also set the torque and power scales different so as to seperate the lines and make it easier to read..

firstly the baseline with std ignition is the red lines
the purple/pink line is with nodiz fitted on a basemap
and the green is the car now with nodiz mapped..

as you can see I havent reved it as high on the org ignition as it wasnt worth it the torque and power are dropping off significantly..
with nodiz on the base mapp it already showed a vast improvement over the std ignition most likely because of the wear in the distributor losing accurate timing in the higher rev range.

there is a dip in the graph about 1/3 the way through that I concentrated in getting rid of.
it looks like in this engine with a mediocre to poor combustion chamber that the timing likes to ramp up quite quickley and I'm running around 42btdc at the top end..

its by no means spot on and prob if I spend more than 20 mins or so mapping it I can prob get it a bit better.

however I'm pretty pleased with the results..

from 34 to 51hp is a decent gain and the torque is higher for longer and doesnt drop off so quickly..
and almost 70ftlbs of torque..
ive set the rev limiter to around 7000rpm witch is pretty much what I reved it to.

not bad on a otherwise std engine..

I will mapp it again when ive got the intake manifold made and dialled in the bike carbs..

again this is not a "quest for high power" but just to get the best most usable torque from a std engine with the view of giving the best usable torque/drivability/reliability and mpg from the car that my wife does her daily chores in..

si
black8driver
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby michaelmate » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:18 pm

That's a fantastic bit of work ! Well done .
Projects........Projects........Projects!
HC 391
michaelmate
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby black8driver » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:34 pm

michaelmate wrote:That's a fantastic bit of work ! Well done .

im secretly hoping that with a long runner intake twin bike carbs and a long primary tube manifold i will be well into the 60hp area.. with a decent long flat torque curve.. we'll see...
si
black8driver
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Juntunen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:45 pm

If you someday are thinking about Fuel injection, i have custom built 1-point injection "thing" for original intake manifold. I had 1256cc Viva engine with MegaSquirt 2.2 and Edis wastespark ignition before that Ford engine.

http://s1267.photobucket.com/user/Juntunen/media/13.jpg.html?sort=3&o=29

And selling topic:

http://www.vauxhallviva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18535
Juntunen
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby House » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:24 pm

Nice one mate, i've often wondered in the past looking at some of the other Mtec stuff if you could do something like this on a 1256. Be good to see it done on the fuel side too with injection.
House
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby black8driver » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:15 am

House wrote:Nice one mate, i've often wondered in the past looking at some of the other Mtec stuff if you could do something like this on a 1256. Be good to see it done on the fuel side too with injection.

I could go fuel injection but I want to keep it simple.. we will be testing our new ecu soon so I could fit it to this car but really there isnt much point..
You wont get any improvement over some bike carbs anyway.. we've done back to back tests on the same engine full ecu against nodiz and bike carbs.. difference is neglegable..
And the torque will be better on the carbs because they are cv. Cv throttle bodies are quite expensive.
Si
black8driver
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks for that, nice write-up. I have some intention to do something similar on the Sportshatch when it needs it, had been thinking of going Megajolt but interesting to see there are more options coming onto the market. I'm not really bothered about FI as I don't want to make the fuel mods, but mappable ignition does sound like a useful change. I'm after economy as much as anything else, these days.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby hbpeter » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:39 pm

Very interesting, how much would one of these units be? Could you supply as a kit to fit to a Std Viva engine?

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby black8driver » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:59 pm

Look on the websitte for info and prices..
Nodiz.co.uk
If you can send a bottom pully we can fit a trigger wheel and make up a mount for the coil and crank sensor if needed

In fact if there is enough interest on here I can possibley set up a group buy at a decent discount over the rrp..

Si
black8driver
SL Viva
SL Viva

Next

Return to Modifications