Poly bushes or new standard bushes for front suspension?

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Poly bushes or new standard bushes for front suspension?

Postby yoeddynz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:27 am

I'm erring towards buying new rubber bushes instead of poly items to replace my aged, worn out old upper arm bushes based on a couple of things. firstly- I have been told by a few that the poly bushes on the front upper arms don't last so well? And secondly- they are quite a bit harsher and transmit more road noise? Also was told that because the poly items are not bonded that they don't have the same spring/ rebound effect that the original items have when the bolts are done up tight at ride height.

Who has experience with them? I like nice handling but don't want a noisier car. Is this a bit having my cake and eating it too?

can the club get the remanufactured rubber items and if so how much for members? I have had a quote for some at £79 for four. Seems a bit pricey? If they are considerably cheaper through the club then I can use the discount to pay towards joining :D
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Poly bushes or new standard bushes for front suspension?

Postby pbottomley » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:52 am

No need to get new Rubbers made for the front suspension Alex, at Martin Robey have them all new in stock, RUBBER not POLYBUSH.

http://www.martinrobey.com/

Jenesen Healy front suspesion should look very familar! :wink:

http://www.martinrobey.com/downloads/je ... 230811.pdf
pbottomley

Postby yoeddynz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:04 pm

Cheers. But which are better? Poly or rubber? Have you heard anything about poly ones not lasting or being too harsh?
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby niftynevins » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Im interested to hear the outcome of this.

My FD Ventora had Nolathane bushes in the front arms and the ride was unbearable. I assume you have these in NZ too? They are hard as hell. I collected NOS bushes when I lived in the UK and put them in through the front suspension. It felt amazing after.
I would love to drive something with superpro bushes all round as they have a lot more give in them.
While I was home in January I put superpro bushes in the rear trail arms and only drove it for a day. The ride was good but as I said it was only a day so can't report on wear yet.

I have been loving the thread on your car keep up the good work!

Paul are the rubber bushes to original spec or slightly harder?
Also does anybody know if the HC and FD share the same caster bar bush as I don't have an HC parts manual.

Andrew
64 HA Viva Brabham GT restoration project
64 HA Viva Deluxe Adelaide assembled restored
64 HA Viva standard Adelaide assembled restored

37 Vauxhall 25HP GY Sloper restoration project
53 Vauxhall Velox Ute original
71 Vauxhall FD Ventora 2 restored
niftynevins
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:28 am

I priced up some superpro front upper arm bushes today - trade price was $250 !!!! :shock: That's £125. Ouch. I'm sure I have seen them cheaper on eBay.

Quite shocking how much these bushes cost in general. Someone is certainly making money. I wonder what they used to cost back in the 70's ~ 80's when still readily available. Pennys I bet.

Niftynevin- the fella I spoke to today stated that the nolathane items are excessively hard and really only suitable for race/ track cars. He reckons the superpro items have a lot more give.

A friend down south who has been modding HBs for years points out that all the poly bushes out there are free to spin inside the outer sleeve rather than being bonded in place like the original rubber items. You then loose the 'springing back to ride height' assistance that the original items give. if you know what I mean.
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:14 am

yoeddynz wrote:Cheers. But which are better? Poly or rubber? Have you heard anything about poly ones not lasting or being too harsh?

A guy in our local club put poly bushes in his Reliant Scimitar GTC and found a problem with them not lasting - he had a clonk to investigate and on removing the bush found that part of it had worn away completely. It's not the kind of car (nor the kind of driver) to be driven like a nutter, so I don't think it was through over-use. I did comment to him that it was nice to have the choice of poly or several different grades (and suppliers) of rubber, though I must admit I'd forgotten about Mr Robey at the time despite having some stuff from them in the past.

Mine has quite a harsh ride, but I don't think it became any more harsh when I fitted poly bushes. It's something I'm trying to do something about, as I'm more concerned about the car being usable than having pin-sharp reactions on a track day.
Last edited by droopsnoot on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:18 am

niftynevins wrote:Also does anybody know if the HC and FD share the same caster bar bush as I don't have an HC parts manual.

I have the HC manual, but not the FD one. In the HC book it shows:

Rod, control, front suspension (castor control arm) - 2686681
Insulator, outer, rod to front crossmember brace - 8810130
Insulator, outer, rod to front crossmember brace (R, HPF) - 91008133
Insulator, inner, rod to front crossmember brace - 8810131
Insulator, inner, rod to front crossmember brace (R) - 91008132

How do they compare to the FD book?
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby niftynevins » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:41 am

Niftynevin- the fella I spoke to today stated that the nolathane items are excessively hard and really only suitable for race/ track cars. He reckons the superpro items have a lot more give.

A friend down south who has been modding HBs for years points out that all the poly bushes out there are free to spin inside the outer sleeve rather than being bonded in place like the original rubber items. You then loose the 'springing back to ride height' assistance that the original items give. if you know what I mean.

After what you say then maybe the way forward is the rubber.
I know what you mean by the springing back feeling.
Will be interesting to see what Paul says re the rubber bushes as far as compound.
I have heard that the pop brown rubbers for HA viva's wear rapidly too.
I have fitted NOS rubber bushes to three of my HA's and they have lasted well (over 60,000 miles since 98 on one)
As far as price I agree I paid around 120 quid for the FD bushes but there was nothing else available and mine were hammered.

Droopsnoot
Wow cheers for all of that info, I was in Norway last weekend and there was a HC firenza 2300 there. Its the first time I have seen under one and it got me thinking as it was so similar. Sadly my parts manual is in Adelaide but I will get my old man to fish it out next time I skype him. I know the snoot shares most items with the Ventora so it would make sense.

Cheers
Andrew
64 HA Viva Brabham GT restoration project
64 HA Viva Deluxe Adelaide assembled restored
64 HA Viva standard Adelaide assembled restored

37 Vauxhall 25HP GY Sloper restoration project
53 Vauxhall Velox Ute original
71 Vauxhall FD Ventora 2 restored
niftynevins
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Will be interesting to see what Paul says re the rubber bushes as far as compound.

i thought i had said earlier that they are Rubber of the same spec as the Magnum bushes.... :goodideasign:

Not POLY rock hard uber race aint i the man for having poly bushes. everyone else seems to crave for, then wish they had not fitted them as the ride was too harsh, but its good to brag about em..... BUSHES
pbottomley

Postby yoeddynz » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:03 am

I have ordered the rubber ones. The way I figure they will still be much better than my worn out sloppy old items and wont be noisy.
After all - I have to maintain the rolls royce like ride quality that the Viva offers :D
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Modifications