just need some websites for 15 inch wheels

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

just need some websites for 15 inch wheels

Postby haza1024 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:58 am

dont panic guys this isnt another thread on what wheel sizes fit vivas i got that one worked out!

all i need is places or websites where i can find 15x7s that are in the 101.6 pcd fitment (if they exist) as im just going around in circles here

i dont really want to go down the route of converting a hub to a different fitment but i can if i have to, all i can find on sites like midlandwheels and ebay etc is 13s as its the common mini fitment.

the plan for my gls is to put a 13b rotary in so i want some rubber to put the initial power down and stop the car from spinning. i make it sound like it will be crazy powerful.... it wont be but i know it will spin 13s no trouble

feel free to swear at me for putting another wheels topic up on here :D
haza1024
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: just need some websites for 15 inch wheels

Postby pbottomley » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:11 pm

My take on this is that your wasting your time!

Be it 15 inch or 13 inch rims the outer diameter of the tyre can only be so big before it starts rubbbing on metal work, so the size of wheel is irrelivent to the grip its the tyre fitted tot he rim that counts....

Secondly if your going to put a 13b in (and one assuems uprate the running gear to match) you're going to find out fast that the rear axle is no good and you will attempt to find something else to fit. At that point you will have to engineer your hubs back to 101.6mm.

My advice is work out the running gear first then get wheels to suit, dont be like the rest of the sheep and bye shiny stuff first !
pbottomley

Postby ShaBro » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:49 pm

I must admit that that's my motivation for changing my wheels, so that I can change the gearing to make the car more driveable, at present the combination of gearbox and rear axle is geared too high and the rear wheels skip at the slightest provocation when setting off.... its good for high speed but not pootling around town.
Hopefully using a drastically lower profile tyre will help towards this.
ShaBro
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby martin-reyland » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:56 pm

pbottomley wrote:My take on this is that your wasting your time!

Be it 15 inch or 13 inch rims the outer diameter of the tyre can only be so big before it starts rubbbing on metal work, so the size of wheel is irrelivent to the grip its the tyre fitted tot he rim that counts....

That's not strictly true! With a 13" rim the choice of tall tyres isn't great and even if you could get them they'd look like balloons and result in poor handling, most readily available in a reasonable width are 205/60x13 which has an overall height of 576mm but if he moved to a bigger rim he'd be able to get the taller height he's looking for and not loose out on the handling :wink:

My Car runs 245/35x17 rear tyres and doesn't have any issues with rubbing (I reckon I could run wider too if needed) and that size gives an overall height of 603mm, if I tried to get that height with a 13" rim I'd have sidewalls that would be well over 5" !!!
martin-reyland
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby rizzo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:15 pm

Have a look on here http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator put in some figures and see what you come up with its great for giving a comparison on tyre sizes, but if your going for wide rims put decent width tyres on to fit the rim width otherwise it just looks wrong, unless of course you like stretched tyres :cry:
The bigger the rim and tyre size the car will need lowering to make in look correct imho and once this is done you then start to compromise your suspension movement.
You need to spend sometime thinking what you want exactly, wheels, suspension and ride hieght, running gear, etc and work from there.

Bill
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby haza1024 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:03 am

pbottomley wrote:
My advice is work out the running gear first then get wheels to suit, dont be like the rest of the sheep and bye shiny stuff first !

i wouldnt dare buy anything until i have the project finished ive learnt that lesson already.
The wheels are the last piece of the puzzle so they can wait im just trying to find out where i could get some from so i could see what is available (if any). The 175/60's that I have are like balloons now so I wouldn't want a bigger profile than 50.
i would have thought that my 2300 back axle will withstand the 13b no problem but surely putting more rubber on the ground will help put power down better and increase handeling compared with what i currently have... and aquaplaning would be more of a threat i guess but even so.
haza1024
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby haza1024 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:07 am

martin-reyland wrote:
pbottomley wrote:My take on this is that your wasting your time!

That's not strictly true! With a 13" rim the choice of tall tyres isn't great and even if you could get them they'd look like balloons and result in poor handling, most readily available in a reasonable width are 205/60x13 which has an overall height of 576mm but if he moved to a bigger rim he'd be able to get the taller height he's looking for and not loose out on the handling :wink:

My Car runs 245/35x17 rear tyres and doesn't have any issues with rubbing (I reckon I could run wider too if needed) and that size gives an overall height of 603mm, if I tried to get that height with a 13" rim I'd have sidewalls that would be well over 5" !!!

what i thought but how did you get yours on there do you have a different fitment? 17s look good on yours but i think would be to big for me thats why im trying to find 15s
haza1024
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Modifications