Vauxhall Viva 13b engine is in!

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Vauxhall Viva 13b engine is in!

Postby haza1024 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:07 am

as most of you probably know i'm going to put a Mazda rx4 rotary 13b engine and transmission into my 1300 4 door Gls.

Currently still farming in Manitoba Canada but i will be home on the 5th of December, thats when i will start work... well may be on the 6th once im jetlag free. Currently working 2pm to 4am cleaning grain for seed which involves watching the cleaning plant on cctv and sitting on my laptop scouring Eblag and other websites for parts. Its a good job!

As for the car she has been owned by me since july last year and i have been working on different little things like the rev counter not working, headgasket and small bodywork jobs around the spare wheel well and front valance.

My dad has owned the 13b engine and box for about 20 years with the intention to "put it into a car one day" :roll:
he was taking his time so i got proactive. it was removed from an rx4 in 1982 and had 25,000 miles on the clock plus the engine was completely rebuilt at 15,000 miles as the guys wife cooked it. so basically it has 10,000 miles on her. i have had the engine running and starts up quite easy just a bit smokey from being sat i hope! its the early dizzy type so basically i just need to plug and play to put it simply.

The Gearbox is clutched hydraulically and this will be one hurdle to pass, im wondering if it would be a case of adapting the clutch pedal to run a master cylinder or better to make a bracket to adapt the clutch release arm to use a cable. I would like to do it that way as then i wouldn't be loosing the originality of the car.

I dont want to change to much on the car so that it makes it hard to change back to original, my long term plan is to have a bit of fun with this car and then convert it back to original. I am going to keep the 1256 engine and box so i can rebuild it one day and put it back in the car.

I have bought parts over the last 18 months that i can adapt or change like the dash and other things so i can keep the original stuff to put back in one day.

So over the next two weeks im going to get the engine out, clean up and may be go along the route of painting the engine bay, sort out a few little rust issues on the front and get the other engine in sitting on its own mounts hopefully. I have a pit workshop with air lifters to use (kindly donated by the old man) and engine crane, welders etc, just need to get on and do it.

Will try to take as many pics as i can and update this when i can. Lots of you guys have already done so much to your cars the infomation available is amazing and i am very greatful for this forum it has saved me lots of confusion and thats worth its weight in gold with me. :D :thanx: hopefully after this i may inspire and ease confusion for some of you guys

decided to write this up a week early as i have so much time on my hands right now its unreal.
Last edited by haza1024 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
haza1024
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Vauxhall Viva 13b rotary project

Postby haza1024 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:11 am

damn time change the forum was saying i wrote this on the 30th but its still the 29th here... thought i'd gone nuts
haza1024
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Vauxhall Viva 13b 18/12/13

Postby haza1024 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:51 am

After 32 hours of flights airport terminals, airport priced beer im home... its a bit damp!

so made a little start to the project by getting the engine out from its hiding place and having a look over to make sure all is well.
Image This is how its sat for the last 20 or so years in a frame so it can be started to show people how they work.

I want to hunt out a rad to go on there so i can keep it running and see if i have any problems as i would rather know now before i commit to the conversion and find i have a duff engine (worst case scenario)

Took off the gearbox to check the clutch and release bearing and im going to get a new one if alls good.
Took the inlet and outlet manifolds off to find about a pint of oil come out of one of the exhaust ports... hoping this is because it has sat for so long

Should have the news tomorrow on wether its a go-er or not... fingers crossed

Tucker
haza1024
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Vauxhall Viva 13b 18/12/13

Postby haza1024 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:57 am

Been a busy and long couple of months for me getting back into the work routine and adapting back to uk weather.

Heres an update for you lovely people! The Viva now holds a 13b rotary on its own mounts!
heres the old 1256

13b ready to go in

it went in really easy unsuprisingly. removed the old engine mounts from the front crossmember and it practically fell in :)

next was to invent a way to hold it in place

as the engine mounts from the front originally thats the route i would follow.
got a piece of 6mm place cut and bent to match the existing engine mounts. then made the overal width of it to 720mm to stretch from one chassis leg to the other.

got my measurements right!

then hung some plates of the top of the chassis legs to connect to the new crossmember and welded it on after the engine was squared up and sat in the right place
then bolted it down!

now to make a prop, exhaust, clutch, radiator... list goes on!
haza1024
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Vauxhall Viva 13b engine is in!

Postby hbpeter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:04 pm

Nice work, well done.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby haza1024 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:34 am

started work on the exhaust this evening and to be fair its not a hard job. I found some 90 degree steel pipe bends and some off cut pipe in the shed and took to it. lots of marking, cutting, checking and eventually welding.
it would be easier if the steering column wasnt in the way but there is so much room under there that it didnt really matter just took a little more time. i think i will twin the second pipe up with this one behind the column to stop any back pressure issues after that i will get a stainless pipe bent from the gearbox crossmember to the rear of the car.
haza1024
SL Viva
SL Viva

13b GLS... work continues!

Postby haza1024 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:13 pm

hey yall

finished off the exhaust after burnt sleeves endless cutting, grinding, swearing etc

all fun and games... nothing smart but im happy with it :)

feels good to get that bit out of the way.

working progress on the oil cooler

going to finish that off in the next couple of evenings and then adapt the clutch cable to replace a hydraulic system.

been playing with props too but have decided to get one made from scratch for safety aspects and peace of mind. i wouldnt have made one anyways but wanted to see if i could adapt a transit split prop with an rx7 prop.

shall see what march brings i kinda want it running in two weeks so i can strip it down and get it paint ready by april... time will tell until then it will be more tea drinking, crappy drawings and ideas!

Harry
haza1024
SL Viva
SL Viva

13b... the joys of rust and filler

Postby haza1024 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:55 pm

Ran out of mechanical stuff to do so made a start on some bodywork last week.
Didn't see much point on waiting around for parts and it needs to be done I guess

Love the spot welder so much easier just cut the holes out then tap the edges in and spot a plate in over the top.. Simples!

Leaded up some holes too

Next job is to repair this sorry old boy...
haza1024
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby chrismc » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:15 am

Interesting build. Good work. :D
chrismc
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:30 am

That looks like the same gearbox as an MX5 am I correct? Thought of using an MX5 engine, gearbox and rear suspension in a Viva shell once, possibly even using the front suspension as well.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Next

Return to Modifications