Setting up hb suspension arms to get negative camber

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Setting up hb suspension arms to get negative camber

Postby dagsy » Fri May 30, 2014 4:30 am

Can anyone tell me what they used to do to the front suspension arms on the hb in order to be able to get negative camber on them?
I have read that blydenstein used to do a kit, but what would be the chances of finding one of those nowadays.
Any help much appreciated.
Cheers
dagsy
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Setting up hb suspension arms to get negative camber

Postby droopsnoot » Fri May 30, 2014 10:08 am

My understanding, for HC at least, is that the mounting holes for the upper ball joints are elongated into ovals, and the differing position for the ball joint alters the camber angle. I believe HB is pretty much the same at the front, and it's about the only way I can think of to achieve the differing angles. This is similar to a lot of modern cars - my daily-driver has oval mounting holes where the lower ball joint mounts onto the lower wishbone to achieve the same thing (and make it more complicated to swap the ball joint when you just want 'standard' angles).

I assume that for the Sportpart negative camber wishbone, they had access to the wishbone from the factory before it was drilled for the balljoint. The description in the manual suggests that they are 'precision drilled', so that would be a specific negative camber angle rather than adjustable. It also talks about requiring wheel spacers if these were used with the progressive bump stop. You could probably achieve the same by welding up the original holes, though it might be hard to get the precision required.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby chrismc » Fri May 30, 2014 12:10 pm

There is a guy on here called Ade. He sells these on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131185975869

They should do the job :D
chrismc
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Fri May 30, 2014 1:36 pm

Drilling holes in the wishbone is a well understood methiod, works and has been done for decades... fail to see where splashing out large bucks for wishbones with rosejoints (hard ride) will be cheaper, or better than 10 minutes with a drill and file....
pbottomley

Postby dagsy » Sat May 31, 2014 12:04 am

I would have to agree with the ball joint hole option being easier. I might see if I can find another set of wishbones from somewhere just so I don't ruin mine if it all goes pear shaped.
Thanks for the replies
Was also just thinking, how big do you need to make the slots to be able to get neg camber?
dagsy
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sat May 31, 2014 6:47 pm

There's probably a way to calculate that based on the length of the upright and exactly how much negative camber you want. The other way is to file the inner side of the holes by a reasonable amount, assemble, then measure the camber angle. If you've got enough, stop filing. If you've got too much, you can bring the ball joint outwards again until it's correct.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby dagsy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:04 am

Well, just slotted them taking 3mm off. It has certainly bought them closer to vertical, both visually and with the level on.
I have gone as far as I can as it now contacts on the ball joint mount & control arm. I think another 2mm would certainly give a neg camber result, but I will see how it drives on this first.
Might even take it to a wheel aligner & get home to measure it afterwards.
dagsy
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby grp2viva » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Well worth getting your alignment checked as adding any amount of camber pos or neg will alter your toe in/out.

Darren.
grp2viva
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby hbpeter » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:41 am

Conntact Guy Turner of the Viva Outlaws Club. Many moons ago he did an article in the club magazine about modding the wishbones, with diagrams.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby obees » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:34 pm

I have an original set of DTV arms on my car which I bought when I road rallied it, The offset of the top ball joint has been drilled so that the grease nipple just touches the back of the centre hole, But on a normal arm the holes can be filed or drilled into a slot. I'll have a root in my loft and dig out my DTV Manuel and see if there any information.
obees
SL Viva
SL Viva

Next

Return to Modifications