engine conversion ideas

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

engine conversion ideas

Postby domkolo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:55 am

i'm now toying with the idea of keeping my hb after doing a few bits to it and making it a bit more of a "useable" classic but on a budget, does anyone have any suggestions for a slightly more powerful engine that's still quite economic that's suitable for an hb without too much modification? i've fallen in love with the car but it's far too unreliable to use everyday!

thanks Dom.
domkolo
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: engine conversion ideas

Postby bedfordbad » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:56 pm

If you cant get an 1159 to run reliable i doubt very much weather you will be up to transplanting a different engine in your hb...
concentrate on getting the car to run properly as standard then make a decision!
learning how to look after and tune ect your existing engine will put you in good stead for future conquests... :goodideasign:
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby domkolo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:39 pm

it wouldn't be me converting it, i'd have a mechanic friend do it for me, i just seem to throwing money at it at the moment and it's not doing my wallet or stress levels any good. i love the car i don't have enough hours in the day to mess around with it
domkolo
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby pbottomley » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:34 pm

domkolo wrote:it wouldn't be me converting it, i'd have a mechanic friend do it for me, i just seem to throwing money at it at the moment and it's not doing my wallet or stress levels any good. i love the car i don't have enough hours in the day to mess around with it

Then get this MAN to sort the existing engine out then.... Same as said earlier if he is not up to servicing and tuning and engine he has no hope when it comes to the complexities of swapping it for a "better" engine....

NO modern engine is a straight transplant, all conversions involve sorting better brakes out different gearboxes and propshafts (all custom made) making engine mounts re wiring the ignition system and ultimately after all that is down, a service and the of this engine...
pbottomley

Postby BobbyMel » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:51 pm

I run a 1159 my Viva, and quite easily keep up with everyday traffic...around town you're only doing 30 to 40 MPH anyway, surely that's not a strain on it.
HB 368

1970 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....114 BOB
1969 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BDH819G
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BOB 33E
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....NHA 764F
1987 - Austin Montego 1.6L....E375 JRV
1995 - Rover 216 Coupe....N622 VOA
BobbyMel
Top Viva Spotter

Return to Modifications