looking for help or advice,

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

looking for help or advice,

Postby skinner » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:37 am

its been a long time sense i have been here on site,, last fall the viva took the knocking,,
so i pulled the engine and had it fixed again,, still running but im nervous on longevity,
now for my question ,,,,, on this site there is a few mods where there is a few different engines installed,,,
zetec, cheveete, and rovers ,
what is the best choise for my 65 HA viva , here in Nova Scotia ,
i can get north amercian cars for donors ,, Zetecs, ecotecs, v6s v8?
but my problem is,, most stuff here is front wheel drive , transverse mounted (sideways) unless i go old school Rwd but most of the survivors are v8s,,
thinking a 4cyl or at best a v6 and definetly a automatic trans for ease of installtion,,,,
what and how are you using for transmissions on a newer engine ? is it all custom built of a mix of
new and old ?
im toying with the idea of a trans plant because of part availabity and power,,,,
any advice would be a helpfull,,,
skinner
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: looking for help or advice,

Postby jpsmit » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:19 am

Skinner, I have wondered also for my Midget - should the inevitable happen. If I were you given that we are talking similar sized engine bays, I would

1. Get a Miata drivetrain. I presume you can get JDM engines in Halifax. Here in Toronto you can pick up a very low mileage engine/transmission for about $600 - that would be my first choice.

2. Get a rotary with a five speed - getting a good engine will be harder but, on the plus side it is a smaller engine.

3. Everything else Toyota 4AGE/ Suzuki SUV drivetrain/ 240sx etc. etc,

You may want to check this guy:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/cit ... nFlag=true

or other British conversions here:

http://www.britishv8.org/ (not all V8's BTW) Keep us posted! Oh and/or find a rusted fiat or alfa
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Return to Modifications