viva ha racing

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

viva ha racing

Postby bpvauxhall » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:50 pm

i im building a ha for racing and was wondering what the best way to uprate the front sespension for better handling, is there any roll cages that are an easy fit, also how can I lower the back end of the car
Many thanks sean
bpvauxhall
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: viva ha racing

Postby hbpeter » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:31 pm

Hello and welcome. Sounds an interesting project, and probably unique in this country. Not had a HA myself but there are plenty on here that have modded them. Lets have some pictures of the car and the reg number. What racing are you going for?

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby dann01 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:56 pm

The is one chap in the club that used to Rally an HA back in the 70's, but can't remember for the life of me who he was. You would probably have to contact him by post, cos he isn't on the forum. However, the advise and knowledge this chap could pass on would be your best bet for making the most from your project.

Paul B might be able to help in respect of the chaps name, we had a very interesting chat with him at this years parts day. I remember as well an article in the club mag that he'd written?

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby pbottomley » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:50 am

bpvauxhall wrote:i im building a ha for racing and was wondering what the best way to uprate the front sespension for better handling, is there any roll cages that are an easy fit, also how can I lower the back end of the car
Many thanks sean

Most of this work will need to be very specific to the car and custom made, roll cage will need to be hand made, and all roll cages need to be made correctly so they don't become a weapon to maim you in a crash, just finding something that might fit and adjusting it is a total fail.

Front suspension can be lowered using pop browns springs, but it will scew up the handling, same for the rear using spacer blocks. But tell me this what sort of racing are we talking about?

in my experience folks that are serious about racing tend to find out the technical issues on a racing forum those that just want to *Bleep* off pretending to be a full on racer populate classic car forums asking stupid questions.

So which are you, tell us more about your sport , what are the regulations for your car? Are you allowed to lower it? Whats the running gear what about brakes? So far all you have said it chav items!
pbottomley

Postby bpvauxhall » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:43 pm

The sport i do is called a motorkhana and autotesting. Im allowed to do anything to the car aslong as it has interior carpet, back seats, all lights and all windows. So far ive almost finished building an all steel stroker blydenstein 1256 engine put a set of 7/13 minilite on it and painted it blue
Attachments
bpvauxhall
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby miketemplar » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:06 pm

It's a great sport and you'll have loads of fun, but keep your 7" wheels for the road and use 5 and a half" or 6" for testing as a max. you don't have the power to make good times on anything any wider. A lsd plus a good hydraulic handbrake will reward you handsomely, and even van suspension will show you a gain.
And lose some weight, it kills your cars performance. I do polycarb windows, but stripping anything unnecessary from the car is single best thing you can do. So consider fibre panels, drilling out and stripping the webbing/strengthening on the boot, bonnet and doors, you'll be surprised at how much you can lose and weight is time!
miketemplar
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:15 pm

bpvauxhall wrote:The sport i do is called a motorkhana and autotesting. Im allowed to do anything to the car aslong as it has interior carpet, back seats, all lights and all windows. So far ive almost finished building an all steel stroker blydenstein 1256 engine put a set of 7/13 minilite on it and painted it blue

Very nice, glad to see your more about reality than the normal morons i see :D

as said lowering springs are made by Pop Browns

http://www.popbrowns.co.uk/pdf/Vauxhall%20HA%20Suspension%20Parts1.pdf

and as its a live axle some spacer blocks should sort out the rear end...

tell me more about the engine, i am after doing a stoker engine for a customer but can i find the part .....
pbottomley

Postby hbpeter » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:37 pm

Sounds like fun. Car looks smart, any more photos and the reg number?

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby bpvauxhall » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:35 pm

How much power might I be looking at with the engine as I have a stroker crank and rods lotus twin cam pistons (.060) mild cam double valve springs ported head 10/1 compression ratio and twin 35 carbs of a peugeot 205 sx and a very light flywheel :)
Attachments
bpvauxhall
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby flexbuttcheck1 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:05 pm

is the stroker a 1500 or is it 1256? if its 1256 i would of thought mid 80bhp tops, with the spec you list.
flexbuttcheck1
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Modifications