HC front drums to disk conversion

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

HC front drums to disk conversion

Postby nicholas9916 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:46 pm

Hi,

I bought myself a vauxhall viva HC , and i realized that most HC had disks front, but mine had drums, could anyone give me an idea how i would go about sourcing parts to change to disks, bearing in mind that i live in Malta, and i can't go source parts from salvage yards in the UK.

nicholas9916
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: HC front drums to disk conversion

Postby hbpeter » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:56 pm

Welcome, if you look up a member on here with the user name HC, he might be able to help, hes from Malta and has several Vivas. Do you have any photos of your car?

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby nicholas9916 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:15 pm

Don't have too many pictures as its still in a very sorry state, thanks for the quick reply, thought im the only one in Malta with one, turns out theres hope :)
nicholas9916
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby nicholas9916 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:43 pm

Can anyone help as i couldnt manage to contact him? Nothing that is urgent but i would like to try and convert it when funds and time are available
nicholas9916
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:55 am

Mine has drums at the front and they work fine if they are set up right.

I did look at converting them but only got as far as sourcing the steering arms before deciding to stick with drums. Occasionally you find a front crossmember assembly come up for sale on ebay which usually has all the disc and hub gear you need. It would expensive to ship to Malta - but it's probably the only way you'll source all the bits needed.

From experience I'd keep it original, with 4 drums and no servo I thought mine would be weak on the brake - not at all. I had it in for MOT last week and the guy said its braking figures were better than some modern cars.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Modifications