injection systems

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

injection systems

Postby ShaBro » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:38 am

Just a quick question - Has anyone successfully installed an injection system such as a megasquirt onto a slant 4 engine?
I'm looking at ways to maybe do away with the strombergs and hopefully make the car more reliable and economical.
ShaBro
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: injection systems

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:48 am

I haven't, but I'll be watching this - it's something I think of when the idle speed randomly changes. Opportunity for better fuel economy as well, though I do very well on a run even with twin 48s. For me I think it's more about a mappable ignition system rather than specifically the FI side of it as I didn't fancy high-pressure fuel lines, swirl pots and so on.

Some early issues of Practical Performance Car covered adding fuel injection and an ECU to a Chevette with a slant four, so I was buying the magazine regularly. But when it came to first starting the engine they didn't keep an eye on oil pressure and ruined it, and seemed to drop the whole project like a hot coal. I think a chap in the DSG fitted the Emerald ECU (which was always being promoted in that magazine) but didn't go as far as fuel injection.

I think if you search around this site you'll find a link to someone who had a black Magnum and fitted FI and ECU to the car, but that's going back a few years now.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby ShaBro » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:27 pm

I was thinking Megasquirt because they are really quite cheap, there is a lot of opensource knowledge about them and going by the system that I fitted to my mx5, relatively simple and easy to work with.
I'm also thinking along the lines of Jenvey throttle bodies on a DCOE manifold to keep that side of things simple.
I know anything can be done if you have the knowledge and large pockets, both of which I haven't got being a mature student.....
ShaBro
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat May 02, 2015 5:45 pm

Has been done before, a magazine did it to a Chevette about 10 years ago and there is a guy I've read about on the internet did it to Magnum. I think I found the post on here somewhere?

I have plans for this conversion myself. Patton Engineering in USA make injector adaptors for Strombergs which don't change the 'standard' look too much.

I've thought of using a DCOE manifold without the thermostat housing and mounting the injector bosses on that. I would then fabricate a plemum chamber and mount a single throttle body on it. About 65mm should be more than adequate for up to about 200bhp.

Not as 'sexy' as individual throttle bodies like Jenveys but a lot cheaper and DIY, both big plus points for me :D
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby pbottomley » Sat May 02, 2015 6:02 pm

Lotus bits do a full kit for the 900 series engine, TBH i would of thought it would work wi the slant four, however at £2k a pop its not exactly value for money
pbottomley

Postby Juntunen » Sun May 31, 2015 4:50 pm

I had 1-point injection (megasquirt) in my Hb Viva. Worked well and it was easy to make. Throttlebody is from bmw e36.

Juntunen
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Modifications