Seatbelts

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Seatbelts

Postby Of_Machines » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:50 am

The seatbelts in my Firenza are pretty knackered and I was thinking of replacing them, also thinking about fitting rear belts of some sort as it doesn't have any.
Where is a good place for replacement belts and what if anything has everyone done with theirs?
Of_Machines
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Seatbelts

Postby 1972nail » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:21 pm

Most modern aftermarket seat belts will have long stalks on the buckles and these cannot be fitted onto the Viva centre tunnel mounting point. So you will either have to make new strengthened fixing points on the rear floor or have a set of new belts altered to use the original buckle clips.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby cooperman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:29 pm

I have just bought 2 x 3point static belts from Securon for the rear, I've gone for part number 200. Not fitted them yet but will update you when I have. Their website is quite good as it gives you a diagram of the belt, and dimensions of stalks, and different types of stalk. Then google it to find the cheapest supplier
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:59 am

I spoke to Securon about replacement belts for my Sportshatch, because a new Securon belt with adjustable mounting angle is under £30 on eBay, far less than I can get the originals refurbished for. Unfortunately, as David said, the stalk is very long, and although they have a shorter one, they won't "mix and match" between kits unless they've specifically tested the combination. Being seat belts, I can't say I fault them on this. Unless you change the mounting point, that would lead to the fastening being in an unsuitable place when wearing the belt.

There is a build thread on here where someone has used a Securon belt, but that's on an earlier two-door car that doesn't have the mountings in the rear quarters, so the retractor is mounted on the bottom of the B pillar just behind the seat. I think that's led to the Securon web site listing a specific belt for all HC models, which isn't quite correct. They did say they were going to update the site, I haven't seen whether they have done or not.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby cooperman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:17 pm

cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby chrismc » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:00 pm

I fitted these Securon belts to our Firenza. 15cm stalks.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=24431&start=100

Halfway down the page.
chrismc
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Of_Machines » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:25 am

Thanks for your help guys, i'll look into all this :)
Of_Machines
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:09 am

chrismc wrote:I fitted these Securon belts to our Firenza. 15cm stalks.

I think that's the one that I was talking about. Unfortunately no use for my hatch as that has the reel mounted in the rear quarter panel with the belt coming out through the trim panel. I guess for the OP the first question is whether it's an early or late Firenza, that is, did it have inertia reel belts to start with? If not, your solution does it nicely, though I can't remember what you did about the stalks, whether you moved the mounting down the tunnel or not.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby chrismc » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:09 pm

No, standard placement of the stalks. I just got the shortest ones which were 15cm. Works fine.

The ones Securon recommend for the Viva are 30cm for some reason and way to long.
chrismc
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Modifications