Solid subframe mountings

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Solid subframe mountings

Postby rizzo » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:08 pm

I'm pretty sure this has been done i seem to recall some images somewhere but cant find them, is anyone producing them or have done the mod ?
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Solid subframe mountings

Postby lord13 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:07 am

I've done it before, had them machined out of aluminium. The lower ones are fairly simple being just round bushes with a bolt hole, just make sure they are an interference fit in the subframe and you use big washers on the inner of the subframe, the top ones were more complex, a machined block, with chamfered edges on the lower long face ( aids fitting and is more aesthetically pleasing ), with a stepped edge on one upper long face to accommodate the rail flange, and a threaded bolt hole in the top,I bolted them through from the top with a long bolt rather than trying to fit a threaded rod into the ally block, though i suppose this would be easy to do in retrospect ( it was a bit of an *Bleep* getting the bolt holes to line up if i remember correctly, sometimes it would go, and sometimes it would not, like all viva bolts ).

This was fitted to a strengthened subframe (big washers welded to frame on all bolt holes, boxed out riggers, strengthened engine mounts,and strengthening plates) the extra strain on the subframe from being solid mounted could cause it to crack I guess, also had rose jointed adjustable tie rods and heavy duty rubber bushes on the wishbones, adjustable dampers wound all the way up and a heavy duty anti roll bar.
This kept to the old idea of 'hard on the front, soft on the back' for road holding and handling. ( i read that somewhere once) it seemed to work well.

But it gave one hell of a harsh ride, i wouldn't do it again unless it was for track use. It was a bit 'jarring' to say the least.
It was originally installed in this one, HB SL 'PUT' (I still own this one....albeit in many many bits )Image

Then it went in this one, HB deluxe 'TUE' ( this one spectaularly junked its gearbox on the way home from work at 7am, subsequently was torn apart by 'JS' and myself and the parts were scattered between his many HB's )

hope this helps :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby rizzo » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:40 pm

Thanks for feedback what you mention is pretty much what i had in mind although i figured the top mounts might be a bit stronger in steel than alloy.
i don't really see the advantage of having the front frame rubber mounted as the arms and engine are or will be rubber mounted so a solid frame can only add more strength to the front end imho.
As its not going to be a race/rally car i'm not looking for a harsh ride but it will have a V8 fitted though, i,m not too concerned about beefing things up as i did a v8 transplant nearly 30 years ago on a HB and its still being used today without any issues, the whole running gear was magnum with no other mods worth mentioning.
Did you build the car for the road or was it specifically for performance? :D
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:02 am

It was just one of my road cars, I had a few to choose from back then. My fave was always 'PUT', probably because it was my first ever car, and the reason why it was the only one i kept. I just constantly messed with it on a whim . . .
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby rizzo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Yeh you cant beat a bit of messing :D
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Modifications