Opps corrected link to t9 information

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Opps corrected link to t9 information

Postby fatjon » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:49 pm

I put some info on this on the old forum but I just had to take it all apart to fix the clutch so here are some extreme close ups of the mods to the vauxhall bell housing for the ford t9 to bolt up.

http://195.224.74.74 look in the GBHRES folder and then forget laying out your hard earned cash for a getrag box.

All the pics are hi res so they take a few seconds to open but doing it any lower res loses to much accuracy and detail.

For those who havn't seen the pics before some of the other folders are worth nosing around too. (provided your not a leave it concours purist type at least)

Jon
fatjon

Postby lambaj » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:42 am

Hi

Good to see some nice handy tech info being passed on to the masses. Thanks!
Just a thought looking at your propshaft/back of gbox photo. Have you got your propshaft U/J angles worked out ?? I only ask as I have recently been looking at props and rear suspension setups and UJ angle is a very important consideration for the life of the prop and the smoothness of the transmission. Manufacturers say you should have no more that 0.5' angle on the gearbox joint, but more that 0'. I know this sounds a very small angle, but its important. You have to have some angle so the bearings turn a bit in the UJs providing lubrication, but as you have a 2 piece, 3 joint prop, there is no partner UJ to counteract the angular variations produced when a UJ is operated at an angle.
The 2nd UJ in the support bearing and the axle UJ angles should be the same, but opposite, that way they self cancel leavinh you with nice smooth transmission.. If your getting a prop speed vibration that get worse the faster you go, it could well be the angles causing the problem.
If this interests you, have a look at this:
http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_help/html/Diagnosis/Propshaft/Propshaft_Angles.htm

Cheers and good luck with the project

Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby fatjon » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:43 am

Tony,

thanks for the tips. The back UJ is the same as it always was obviously as its a 2 section prop but I have to confess I never checked the front. It "looked" about right. The back gearbox mount is adjustable to plus or minus 25mm so when I put it back together I will take your advice and try to get it to the magic 0.5 degrees. It didnt vibrate before but that was probably just beginners luck. The clutch is giving me more trouble at the moment. It just cant handle the torque. I have just ordered an AP competition firenza clutch cover and a race/rally cortina plate to go under it. The standard vauxhall cover with a standard sierra clutch plate was hopeless. I doubt it would even handle a standard 2300 it was so easy to get it slipping.

Jon
fatjon

Postby lambaj » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:03 pm

Cool

As it you have some adjustment, I would suggest checking it out. Its one of those things that will bite you in 10000 miles when the prop gives up unexpectedly.....DOH!
As for the clutch, if either of the original clutch parts are used, then they will not like each other. The friction plate and clover plate wear in together. Mismatching a used clutch will more than likely reduce its standard performance, then you go and dump 50% more torque through it...... All assuming you re-used some bits n bobs......
Think your solution will be the answer. Maybe check the assembled gap size between the cover plate and the flywheel to make sure the spring pressure is high enough. Should be fine if the Sierra friction disc is within about 1mm of the original Vauxhall one.

Keep up the good work

Tony
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Modifications