engine transfer?

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

engine transfer?

Postby pickled_foot » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:18 pm

hi,
it seems my viva hc's engine is coming to an untimely demise. Its a HC 1256cc and when it does finally go i am thinking of having it replaced with something newer. can anyone advise on any more recent vauxhall engines i can transplant without effecting existing gearbox and minimal fuss? not after amazing performance just something a with a little more power than the 1256
any thoughts?

cheers
pickled_foot

Postby flexbuttcheck1 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:02 am

afraid theres nothing else that fits upto the ohv gearbox! :( tho i suppose you could get a bellhousing made up but wouldnt think it would be cheap!
flexbuttcheck1
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lambaj » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:44 am

As previously discussed in various threads, the 1057/1159/1256 family are an interchangable suite of engines, but that as far as it goes. The existing gearbox has the bell housing cast in, so it cannot be changed without an awful lot of work, and is certainly not strong enough to warrant the effort and cost involved.
If you want to keep with vauxhall, the SOHC series will go in and be reasonable (ie Nova/Cavalier/astra) but I cant tell you about a suitable gearbox to make them RWD. I suspect a RWD cavalier box may work, but somebody will have to confirm this. Or you could go for the XE series engines, but these are at least twice as powerful as the best OHV and will need additional effort as they are Fuel injected, with the associated electronics and fuel supply systems.

You could always re-build the 1256 and add a few tuning goodies. They can be made to go reasonably well.

Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pickled_foot » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:25 pm

thanks for the replies, it gives me something to think about.
not sure which way i'll go yet though.

cheers
pickled_foot

Postby xwv2300 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:40 pm

You can use any of the 1300 to 2000 ohc engines from the vauxhall fwd range but youll need a carlton or manta 1.8 for the sump, bellhousing and (5 speed) gearbox (the manta 1.8 is the ohc fwd vauxhall engine but turned round for rwd), you`ll need to fabricate engine mounts and modify exhaust. prop. iv`e seen it done with a 1.3 nova engine and 5 speed box in a chevette so no reason why not a viva.
xwv2300
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Modifications