Rolling road tune

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Rolling road tune

Postby Pork Pie » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:53 pm

Has anyone on here put their Viva through its paces on a rolling road tune? and noticed the difference
Pork Pie

Postby pbottomley » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:29 pm

I want one on the road first !
pbottomley

Postby hbpeter » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:30 pm

Many years ago I took my GT to a rolling road. Made a big difference. Like a different car by the time they had finished. Its not nice eeing your pride and joy having the balls revved off it when standing still mind!!
Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby Pork Pie » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:34 pm

would i need to take a load of service parts with me just incase they need to be changed or fo they just tell you what needs changing and you take it away and then bring it back. As you can tell i`ve never been to one and would love to have a go to see if it really does give it that extra bit of mph
Pork Pie

Postby hbpeter » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:47 pm

probably best to take some bits with you, dout they will have them in stock now. Sometimes they will fit bits there and then, other times you go away fix what they say and go back, depends on what it is .
Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby Tigran » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:51 pm

It's always best to have some bits and pieces with you. Mostly carb and ignition stuff obviously. I have never seen or had a viva on the RR but have seen friends' old fords up on there. It's amazing what it can do for the car if it's rough or set up wrong. Are you thinking of doing a power run? As this puts an enormous strain on the car.
Slippin, Slidin, Glidin, Lowridin'

1964 Rover P5 i6
1976 Vauxhall Viva Coupe - The Judge - DET baby!
1988 BMW 525e - The Rusty Streak

Have a look at GS Autoworks Facebook page, it's more amazing than levitation!
Tigran
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Pork Pie » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:57 pm

just a road tune, no power runs. You can tune and tune on your drive way but it needs to be done on the rolling road to see the difference. its just a thought, as i want max mpg and mph without problems
Pork Pie

Rolling road tune

Postby Sid » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:36 am

You can't really do a rolling-road tune without powers runs.
The whole point of rolling road tuning is to fine tune the fueling and ignition whilst observing the effect on the power curve,
which by it's very nature means lots of full throttle, full load runs, through the entire rev range.
As others have said, this can be seem a hard on the engine, though in reality no more so than really hard road driving, as long as
they cool it properly with the big fan.

Needless to say, the gains you get will depend on how badly the car is currently set up. If you've already set it up "by the book"
then the the gains will be small unless the car is modified.
I got no improvement whatsoever the one time I took a car to the dynotuners. I was running a highly modded engine with twin webers
and the tuning chap tried all sorts of jetting combinations and couldn't improve it at all from my initial settings, but at least I
left the place knowing it was "right" (and with greater confidence in my own tuning skills!).

Sid

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Edd_V6 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:12 pm

I have been to a rolling road 3 times now to have my viva set up properly and it depends on what sort of cars they normally do. The one i use in Ivor is an old guy who has much experience with Webbers but not a lot with fuel injected stuff. It makes a vast improvement to you car as long as there are things that can be changed. If they can change or adjust your jets that’s good if you run twin carbs they can be balanced properly.
I had to go back after changing being advised to change my cam, so i did and the car runs 178BHP (at the wheels) now and is much fun to drive...
It cost me £50 for a 3 hour session so that was pretty good i thought.

Edd_v6
Edd_V6
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:18 pm

The garage section does has facilites to add rolling road and quarter mile times, should that become a hot area of desire...

Wrth checking out the follwoing url:
:D :D
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/garage.php

I am not sure its realy something that the club steers towards, but if I ave sufficent requests I am game for getting that part of the Ggrage up and running?
pbottomley

Next

Return to Modifications