engine n suspension for my hc

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Postby vivalavox » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:10 am

hey ther hair-very-body, im looking to stick a bigger engine in my hc viva i was jus wonerin if anyone can tell me what engines will go in with th least possible arsing about, im on a relativley tight budget and my viva is my everyday car so i need it on the road as much as poss, also i dont have a garage so the work is being undertaken in my back yard! im thinking of possibly a 1800 carlton engine n box, but im open to suggestions! also thinking of keeping the original rear axle on th viva jus maybe uppin the diff l8a on at some point.

also what kind of springs n shocks will fit i jus want it so it aint all jelly all th time, and with my car bein dodgy an all its still on drums at th front what kind ov donor car am i lookin at 2 do a disc brake conversion?

at th moment im not goin 2 heavy on the modifications mainly because of budget and insurance, i kno iv asked a lot bt im fairly new at th viva modification side ov things so any help given is greatly appreciated

thanks in advance all!!
Its th car! chicks dig th car!
vivalavox
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Ralphead » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:38 am

A disc brake HC will have all the bits you need. I've got loadsa parts if you want 'em, in cornwall tho.
Ralphead
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Sid » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:49 am

1800 carlton/manta engine and box is a reasonable choice, especially with a Kent fast road cam which really transforms the
performance on these without any other mods.
2 litre Sierra engine and box is another good one. Again a decent cam unleashes substantial power gains with minimal other changes.

For references, my 1800 manta with just the Kent cam, did 0-60 in 9 seconds dead. 2 litre Cortina just with Piper 282 cam and tube
manifold did about the same. Both these cars are considerably heavier than the Viva.

Ford 1600 X-flow is probably the *easiest* conversion, though needs further tuning to be worthwhile and you'd want to adapt a 5
speed sierra box to the x-flow (which isnt too difficult IIRC). 0-60 in a shade over 9 secs is a realistic target without spending
the earth though.

5-speed gearboxes on any of the above, even with the stock axle will give a top speed of around 110 and reasonably comfortable 80mph
cruising, though swapping to a Magnum axle is highly recomended.

I you want to stop, you'll need to fit hub assemblies and servo from a disc braked HC which shouldn't be hard to find. Larger Magnum
bits are best but harder to find. Normal HC discs are adequate for road use unless you building a full-on racer.

Fitting AVO adjustable shocks and some rubber ring spring assisters will provide the necessary suspension control or you could fit
magnum springs, again with the AVO shocks.

Sid

----- Original Message -----
To: <modification@vauxhallviva.com>
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 11:10 AM
Subject: engine n suspension for my hc

hey ther hair-very-body, im looking to stick a bigger engine in my hc viva i was jus wonerin if anyone can tell me what engines
will go in with th least possible arsing about, im on a relativley tight budget and my viva is my everyday car so i need it on the
road as much as poss, also i dont have a garage so the work is being undertaken in my back yard! im thinking of possibly a 1800
carlton engine n box, but im open to suggestions! also thinking of keeping the original rear axle on th viva jus maybe uppin the
diff l8a on at some point.

also what kind of springs n shocks will fit i jus want it so it aint all jelly all th time, and with my car bein dodgy an all its
still on drums at th front what kind ov donor car am i lookin at 2 do a disc brake conversion?

at th moment im not goin 2 heavy on the modifications mainly because of budget and insurance, i kno iv asked a lot bt im fairly
new at th viva modification side ov things so any help given is greatly appreciated

thanks in advance all!!
--
18 an havin fun in ma 1970 passion wagon

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club \n Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com\vivaforum
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Sid » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:49 am

1800 carlton/manta engine and box is a reasonable choice, especially with a Kent fast road cam which really transforms the
performance on these without any other mods.
2 litre Sierra engine and box is another good one. Again a decent cam unleashes substantial power gains with minimal other changes.

For references, my 1800 manta with just the Kent cam, did 0-60 in 9 seconds dead. 2 litre Cortina just with Piper 282 cam and tube
manifold did about the same. Both these cars are considerably heavier than the Viva.

Ford 1600 X-flow is probably the *easiest* conversion, though needs further tuning to be worthwhile and you'd want to adapt a 5
speed sierra box to the x-flow (which isnt too difficult IIRC). 0-60 in a shade over 9 secs is a realistic target without spending
the earth though.

5-speed gearboxes on any of the above, even with the stock axle will give a top speed of around 110 and reasonably comfortable 80mph
cruising, though swapping to a Magnum axle is highly recomended.

I you want to stop, you'll need to fit hub assemblies and servo from a disc braked HC which shouldn't be hard to find. Larger Magnum
bits are best but harder to find. Normal HC discs are adequate for road use unless you building a full-on racer.

Fitting AVO adjustable shocks and some rubber ring spring assisters will provide the necessary suspension control or you could fit
magnum springs, again with the AVO shocks.

Sid

Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 11:10 AM

hey ther hair-very-body, im looking to stick a bigger engine in my hc viva i was jus wonerin if anyone can tell me what engines
will go in with th least possible arsing about, im on a relativley tight budget and my viva is my everyday car so i need it on the
road as much as poss, also i dont have a garage so the work is being undertaken in my back yard! im thinking of possibly a 1800
carlton engine n box, but im open to suggestions! also thinking of keeping the original rear axle on th viva jus maybe uppin the
diff l8a on at some point.

also what kind of springs n shocks will fit i jus want it so it aint all jelly all th time, and with my car bein dodgy an all its
still on drums at th front what kind ov donor car am i lookin at 2 do a disc brake conversion?

at th moment im not goin 2 heavy on the modifications mainly because of budget and insurance, i kno iv asked a lot bt im fairly
new at th viva modification side ov things so any help given is greatly appreciated

thanks in advance all!!
--
18 an havin fun in ma 1970 passion wagon

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club \n Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com\vivaforum
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby vivalavox » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:12 pm

ye course i wnt em that wud b great! im in manchester so i may have 2 organise a bit of a roadtrip! if i was 2 cum down would you mind meeting me half way? i will pay cash 4 'em
vivalavox
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby cossieviva » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:46 pm

try getting a scrap 1800 2300 magnum and put all the running gear into your viva
cossieviva

Postby Ralphead » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:51 pm

Well it isn't solid yet but I should be in Sussex in the next couple of days. If I can pull the bits off before then then we'll arrange something. I'll keep you posted.
Ralphead
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Sid » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:44 pm

I'd agree, except to comment that the 1800 engine isn't very powerful as stock, and the hot cam that's needed to get any real
performance would have to be custom ground as you can't buy them anymore.

My mate had an 1800 magnum that would do 115mph on the stock 4-speed box and get to 60 in well under 10 seconds, but that used a
Blydenstein cam profile and twin carbs. Stock is quite a bit slower, 0-60 around mid 12s and top speed just over 100 (genuine, not
indicated),
though its undeniably more adequate in modern trafic than a 1256, but thirstier as well.
2300 engine is a better proposition power wise, but a lot harder to come by.

My personal opinion is that the declining supply of spares for the slant-4 engine might make such an upgrade a bit of a dead-end
plan if you're thinking long term. I certainly wouldn't go to the bother of transplanting a 1256 for a stock 1800.

Sid

Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 1:46 PM

try getting a scrap 1800 2300 magnum and put all the running gear into your viva

Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Ralphead » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:44 pm

Sorry, been rushing round sorting all sorts out. If you still need bits then let me know. Afraid I couldn't meet halfway cos I'm not legal at the mo. Although with plenty of notice I might be able to get them some of the distance with a mate.
Ralphead
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby vivalavox » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:14 pm

thanks for keepin us posted pal bt im ok 4 now im jus gettin th body sorted n sellin up, thanks very much anyway tis most appreciated!
vivalavox
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Modifications