Another newby with a bit of a mad plan lolz

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Another newby with a bit of a mad plan lolz

Postby Tee » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:03 pm

Hi all, firstly nice set-up you got here, a bit of background info on me - I've just turned 20 today and I love my classics/retros, been driving a mk4 golf for around a year which was good but then got a 1978 triumph spitfire which I brought for £100 and sold recently for £4000! Obviously restored it but it showed me how fun classics are, then got a mk3 polo which I've also recently sold and currently advertising my pug 206 as I want something old and fun again! I've also got a saab 96 v4 saloon which I'm restoring at the mo.
ANYWAY I've seen a 1975 Vauxhall Viva deluxe 1256 4dr saloon with around 10 months MOT for £300 and I'm thinking of getting it, engine/interior are very clean, few bits of bodywork needed but not a problem as I've got plans!! In the words of the other recent newby all purists look away now lol What I'd like to do is slam the car, put some 19" chromes on and flip paint the body :) Now I'm not a destroyer of originality but I do often like adding a modern touch like my spitfire for example I kept most things original whilst adding a few modern touches (I'll try to get pics up later) This however I understand will completely transform the car so I wanted opinions as in do you know anyone/anywhere that has done it before, do you think my plans would suit the shape and style of the car etc. Also let me know about the price I'm getting it for as well, any input much appreciated and sorry to all who have been offended by this :D
Tee

Postby flexbuttcheck1 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:15 pm

beuty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, although personally i prefer small wheels on old cars, plus you would struggle to get 19s on because of the inner wings on the front i think there is something similar to what you want to do on barryboys.com and it isnt pretty but if it gets some more young blood into the viva scene then that cant be a bad thing! if theres any help you need just drop me a line because i live in mansfield in nottingham! :D
flexbuttcheck1
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:39 pm

Your living in a dream world if you think slamming 19 inch alloys on a viva is a good idea. the cost of specially made wheels would be more than the car! and god knows how you would turbn a corner

If its the red viva on eBay with the odd coloured doors and the dents, Its my old red viva, its far to good a car to be blinged up like a french tart. :wink:
pbottomley

Postby Cold Snail » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:25 am

A Viva on 19" wheels would be a BarryBoys target for sure.

A good friend of mine has a set of 15's on his Thruxton Droop Snoot (rear disc conversion) and if memory serves me well, it cost about £200 a wheel.

Good luck in your plans.
All the best, Paul.
Cold Snail
I'm free!!!

Postby pbottomley » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:27 am

Barryboys... that always a good place to make you realise that maybe your idea of a wing on the roof isnt a good idea LOL :lol: :lol:
pbottomley

Postby Tee » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:14 pm

Lolz thanks for your comments money isn't really an object and it's orange the one I've seen not red, I'll post pics up of my progress I assure you this isn't gonna be a barryboys job!
Tee

Postby Tigran » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:49 am

However much I hate the sound of it - it's your car and your project so go have some fun with it!

If you need any help or bits just post in here.

Oh and welcome btw.
Slippin, Slidin, Glidin, Lowridin'

1964 Rover P5 i6
1976 Vauxhall Viva Coupe - The Judge - DET baby!
1988 BMW 525e - The Rusty Streak

Have a look at GS Autoworks Facebook page, it's more amazing than levitation!
Tigran
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby vitaminc74 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:48 pm

take no notice TEE , sounds ok to me. its your car !! 7x15 just fit if you get offset right .lowered mine by 2"
vitaminc74
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lambaj » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:56 am

Hello!

Oh boy, are you gonna have some fun getting 19's under a viva! Hope your handy with the fabrication! I was thinking you will have to tub the rear and completely modify the front floorpan and inner wings. I thought you will have to move the pedal box back about 3 inches to allow any kind of steering lock, and you will need to limit the steering travel unless you can find a set of 195/30r19's :lol: Then I found these....... 225/30r19s. FYI, original wheels are 155/80r13, or maybe 175/70r13. Both these are 575mm in diameter. The 225/30r19 work out at 612mm. Soooo...... in hindsight it might not be that bad after all. Still, getting a set of rims with a 4" PCD and a 7J will prove interesting. Like all things, its not that you can't get them, its how deep is your wallet.

Anyway, again personal taste, but I would avoid the full on chrome rims unless your going for the full pimped up look!

Good luck with what ever you decide. Ps, I recon as the viva HC is all on coils, then airbags are a definate possibility. Low low can you go ???

Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Clara » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:00 am

Hey there,

It's a car being kept on the road (and for all you old purist farts you can always strip the remains for spares) and it sounds great! Can't wait to see the project pictures.
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Modifications