Wheel Fitment?

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Postby Cold Snail » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:37 pm

Even putting fatter tyres on 13"s needs work.

Taken from the Holy book.

I can't remember what the standard size tyres are for a Viva (I've a modded Firenza), but if you scroll down this page there is a tyre size calculator.

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

It does look possible, but as mentioned you will need to modify the area above B (possibly behind A as well), you will also need an elastic band of a tyre to get the right rolling radius.

As Tigran mentioned a clean set of 13" Revolutions look the part and 205/50R13 fit (with a little hammering).

Excuse the quailty, it was a scan of a 35mm print.

All the best, Paul.
Cold Snail
I'm free!!!

Postby pbottomley » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:46 pm

Try this simple calculator I made a few weeks back:

http://www.vauxhallviva.com/information/tyres.html

Always trying to help :D
pbottomley

Wheel Fitment?

Postby Sid » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:15 pm

Depends what you mean. Depending on the correct choice of wheel width and offset it is possible to get 205/60s (7" rims) on the
front and 225/60 on the rear (7 or 8" rims) with virtually no body modifications (maybe a *very* slight adjustment to the egde of
the front valence depending on the spring height and the castor setting).
I know, I did it on my first HC with nothing more exotic than standard Weller 8-spokes.

Using standard Rostyle wheels you're limited to 185/70s though you can fit spacers to improve the stance, and no, before anyone says
it, I've used spacers on half a dozen cars and *never* worn out a wheel bearing.
I won't go as far as to say the bearing wear thing is a total myth, but I will stick my neck out and say any bearing that ever wore
out after fitting sensibly sized spacers was almost certainly due to wear out soon anyway or wasn't correctly adjusted or
lubricated.
The resultant loadings are no different than you'd get by fitting wide wheels (which invariably have all the extra width on the
outer rim).
Obviously moderation is the key. E.g. I wouldnt go fitting 30mm bolt on spacers to the front (if nothing else you'll wear out the
inner edges of the tyres), though they're fine on the solid axle rear with standard wheels.

Sid

----- Original Message -----
To: <modification@vauxhallviva.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 12:37 PM
Subject: Wheel Fitment?

Even putting fatter tyres on 13"s needs work.

Taken from the Holy book.

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club \n Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com\vivaforum
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Wheel Fitment?

Postby Sid » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:24 pm

Damn that's GREAT Paul. Will save me ages faffing about with a calculator in future. That's added to my favourites right now!

Interesting observation I noticed was that a 185/50 x 16 is the same diameter as a 185/70 x13, so in fact if suitable tyres can be
found it is indeed perfectly practical to fit 16" wheels to a stock Viva. Not that I want to personally.

Sid

To: <modification@vauxhallviva.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 12:46 PM
Subject: Wheel Fitment?

Try this simple calculator I made a few weeks back:

Always trying to help :D

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club \n Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com\vivaforum
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Ralphead » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:30 pm

Straying off topic slightly, does anyone know if viva specific wide arches/wings are still available? They don't have to as extreme as AOB the black rover engined coupe in the album but something in the same kinda style. The white car above looks good but its hard to tell how wide they are there.
Ralphead
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby flexbuttcheck1 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:24 pm

the black rover powered car and the white car above are the same old nail kit but one has the flat front and one has the droop snoot thats the only wide arches you can get for the hc unless you modify some other arches to fit the old nail kit is still available from the droop snoot group who still have the original moulds!
flexbuttcheck1
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Ralphead » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:27 pm

Cool thanks I'll get on to em. I really need to sort my prioritys out!
Ralphead
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:51 am

On the question of wheels and tyres, I am getting myself a set of avons, what tyres were fitted as standard to a firenza HPF with avons?

I am running rostyles on my HB and intend to so a swap for the avons with sutible tyres, the car is lowered about an inch or so at the rear and the front is stock height....

My presnt tyres are 175/75 13 ( I think) not sure what size the rims on avons are !!
:D
pbottomley

Wheel Fitment?

Postby Sid » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:21 pm

I can't vouch for the HPF, but knowing what I know about the considerably lesser wheelarch clearances on the HB I'd suggest you go
by what will fit, rather than what was fitted originally.
The wheels should accomodate anything from 175 to 205.
205/60s should squeeze in OK at the rear. 185/60s are more comfortable up front, though with the higher GT suspension you *might*
squeeze 206/60s under there as well.

What I'd do is get 205/60s fitted to 2 of the wheels and try them on the front first. If they won't fit then you can put them on the
rear and fit 185/60 to the other pair.
Actually though, now you mention the car being lowered at the rear, that could also be an issue with 205s depending on the wheel
offset, though I very much doubt the Avons stick out as far as my 7" Wellers (which required slight raising of the rear suspension
to clear the outer arch) so they should be OK.

Sid

On the question of wheels and tyres, I am getting myself a set of avons, what tyres were fitted as standard to a firenza HPF with
avons?

I am running rostyles on my HB and intend to so a swap for the avons with sutible tyres, the car is lowered about an inch or so at
the rear and the front is stock height....
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:33 pm

In which case i will try 185/60 all around, no need to make front smaller than rear at all .... If they dont fit I can always slap them on one of my Hc's and stay with the rostyles...

cheers for that info Sid....

PS get an MOT of the V6 HB yet ?
:wink:
pbottomley

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications