Exhausted - a question about exhausts

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Exhausted - a question about exhausts

Postby retrocarclub » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:20 pm

Could anyone help me out, I've got to the stage where I need an exhaust for my Carlton engined Viva. The only problem is that the exhaust manifold is on the opposite side to the 1256, but the exhaust really needs to exit the car on the original (now opposite) side of the car.

I've noticed that the big engined Vivas, Magnums and Firenzas have the manifold on the same side as mine, but does the exhaust still exit the back in the same place as the 1256? If so, do you think the exhaust would be suitable for my application? Will the exhaust mount correctly on my small engined Viva? Obviously I will use a different manifold and just connect it from the manifold back.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks. :D
retrocarclub
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Edd_V6 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:06 pm

Hi

On a big engined viva the exhaust crosses over the car just by the gearbox, i would have thought if you fitted the magnum exhaust to your car it would be about the right bore for the carlton engine too. The early Viva GT used twin small bore exhaust on the big engine, this went both sides of the car.

Edd
Edd_V6
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby retrocarclub » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:02 pm

Thank you for the reply, thats great news but does anyone have a under car shot of this?
retrocarclub
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby shamm » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:04 pm

Of which, the single or twin exhaust?
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby retrocarclub » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:27 am

Single, sorry I should have been specific.
retrocarclub
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:45 pm

I've got a photo of the exhaust system under my Sportshatch if that's any help - it's a big(ish) bore Motoplus system. If it's any use I'll find somewhere to upload it.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby retrocarclub » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:53 pm

Yeah that would be great if you could.
retrocarclub
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:26 pm

This is it. I'm under the back right corner of the car, virtually underneath where the tailpipe exits the car. You can see that it goes forwards under the right hand side, then crosses the vehicle just around the gearbox crossmember, conveniently placed so that if the tailshaft seal leaks, it drops gearbox oil straight onto the exhaust.

droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby retrocarclub » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:37 pm

Thanks thats superb, just what I was after. It looks as if it should fit without too many problems I just need to find one! :lol:
retrocarclub
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Modifications