Exhaust question

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Exhaust question

Postby SidVicious » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:48 pm

if i run a straight through system with 1 silencer without any baffles in it.. when the gasses enter the silencer would they kind of swirl around and effectively turn the silencer into a vacum? therefore sucking exhaust gasses away from the engine faster, or have i made something up again and convinced myself it would work? :oops: :oops: :roll:
SidVicious
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby pbottomley » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:36 am

Slaps you with a wet kipper..

Oh for gawds sake man wake up and be realistic, the car will be sutible for your means with its straight through exhaust system... dont fix what doesnt need fixing..... Looking for extra power by making some venturi effect exhaust is money wasted.... Rolling road it money well spent.

"Youth of today", always looking for a little more than needed... A slant four doesnt necessarly need extra BHP... trust me its got enough Get up and grunt for every day usage... if your going to park it in Asda carpark at night and try spinning the wheels like all the other chavs then this is the wrong car for you :shock:
pbottomley

Postby bodyworx » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:20 pm

pbottomley wrote:Slaps you with a wet kipper..
:

AND DAD HITS HIM ON THE HEAD WITH A 3" X 2".

I have now locked away my tuning and performance books so he doesnt get any more stupid ideas.

Hes got all these ideas and at the same time NO IDEA !

Hes been told what to expect from a slant 4 but has yet to experience it, it will be a wake up call when he does and realises that theres no need to do anything bar a rolling road session maybe!

All will change soon when he has the car and realises just what hes got.

Fortunately hes not a car park chav nor would he be allowed to be !, and doesnt do the burnouts etc, hes trying to create as realistic as possible DTV replica, which I suppose at this point includes what it should look like and sound like . For now it means stupid suggestions when you dont have the experience or know/have the answers and have up until now have yet to drive your new project

his inexperience and lack of knowledge of older cars is showing, but will change once he get some hands on experience .
Apologies if he seems a bit OTT, but its hard to dampen the enthusiasm and passion he's showing towards building this car, and I know some suggestions make be a bit off the wall, but it at least it shows that he's thinking about what he wants or may need to do, even although it may be utter rubbish and impractical/impossible at this time.

I will keep him in line !
Last edited by bodyworx on Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bodyworx
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bodyworx » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:23 pm

double post (again!)
bodyworx
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:16 pm

awww I was going to add fuel to the fire and suggest soem nice ebay adverts to aid his car like electric superchargers, and neon lights etc... spoil sport Andy.

Serioulsy its all good news that he is asking, but lay off the 3" x 2" :shock: :lol: :lol:
pbottomley

Postby bodyworx » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:58 pm

pbottomley wrote:awww I was going to add fuel to the fire and suggest soem nice ebay adverts to aid his car like electric superchargers, and neon lights etc... spoil sport Andy.

I dont think so ,there will be NO NEONS...... this car WILL be 100% period (except the paint of course)

this week alone weve bought or ordered;
Smiths oil / temp / vacuum guages

new 8x13 superlights with yokohama tyres

full front polybush set

DTV arches

rubber boot hooks & bonnet pins

Clifford alarm system

Ordered all the DTV vinyl / decals

and Ally's painted up a couple of old helmets to sit in the helmet net (for when we get a cage!)

Serioulsy its all good news that he is asking, but lay off the 3" x 2" :shock: :lol: :lol:

A bit of 3x2 is easy to put your hands on just now with the new back garden fence going up, and your never too old to get a cuff on the lug from your old man! :D
bodyworx
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby MAGNUM 2300 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:53 pm

I'll let you know how mine sounds like when I'm finnished making the exhaust system. I guess the system will "look" something like this: 4 branch manifold (not the race one) with 4 2" pipes into 2 2" pipes then a collector into 1 2,5" pipe with (i guess) 2 silencers.

On my rally-Nova I had a standard manifold into a 2,5" system with 1 silencer. It measured 112 db, alas 12 db more than allowded in our national rally regulation. I'll see if I can manage an upload to YouTube with some vids of the Nova later tonight.....
Why fight for a ball when we can play with cars..?!!
MAGNUM 2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby MAGNUM 2300 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:23 pm

...and here the Opel Corsa is:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VokBhz0uoSc[/youtube]
MAGNUM 2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby bulldog » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:33 pm

hmm nova? can i have a go :twisted: :twisted: mine firenza is haveing one box thats all the m.o.t man is look for :wink:
mike

1972 firenza 2000 sl turbo
1969 HB 1159 2 door deluxe [Fungus]
1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby MAGNUM 2300 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:02 pm

If you like the screamish ones.... This has nothing to do with Vauxhalls, but was my last rally car. Me LOVE the sound!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7y6u21MTnU[/youtube]
MAGNUM 2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Modifications