Diesel Viva

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Diesel Viva

Postby hbpeter » Tue May 22, 2007 9:22 pm

With my current job I have a 56 mile round trip each day. So a diesel would make more sense than the 2L Mondeo I have now. :evil: I also want to get my HB back on the road. :D So what would be involved in fitting a modern turbo diesel to the HB? I was thinking along the lines of the VW/Audi 1.9TDi unit. COmes in a range of power outputs, reliable, economical, plentyful. What gearbox could be used? Would I have to beef up the front end? I imagine it wouldnt weigh much more than the vauxhall cast iron OHV engine. Could I use the original tank, cleaned and with a return line added? Would the axle take the extra torque? Would need to do the brakes, mines still on drums!!! Or leave them and make every journey an adventure!! :shock:

What does anybody think, or am I just nuts? :roll:
Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby Kat » Tue May 22, 2007 10:08 pm

Hi,

Either you aren't nuts or I am..!

I've thought about doing this myself, I haven't looked in any great detail at what's involved but have already decided on the candidate engine.

Vauxhall rather conveniently arranged that various gearboxes could mate with various engines. From what I've heard, the diesel engines fitted transversely to the Astra can be bolted to the Carlton/Manta 5-speed 'box. This means it can be done with Vauxhall bits; which I'd prefer.

A while ago I heard of someone fitting the non-turbo unit to an HC. I think I know of someone else who's done this more recently using the 1.7 turbo unit. I'd like to know a bit more myself and intend to get in touch and go and have a look at some point but I'm a bit busy at the moment.
Kat.
Kat
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby bulldog » Tue May 22, 2007 10:30 pm

im going to use a ford engine and box in my hc pickup if i ever get it done but there lot of rwd cars that are diesels and vans if you use a 1.8 2.0 or 2.3 hc front end they have hever springs and stronger crossmembers and thay have beter brakes and the same with the back axle and the best bit is that it all will just bolt on. just engine and gear mounts to change and yes you can use the same fuel tank
mike

1972 firenza 2000 sl turbo
1969 HB 1159 2 door deluxe [Fungus]
1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby psl » Tue May 22, 2007 10:48 pm

A diesel Viva HC estate is still running and MoT and taxed. The owner has used a 1.8 turbo diesel engine 5 speed f*rd engine from a P100 pickup. The gearbox mount just needs to be turned around to line up for the new gearbox, so the chap said. It shifts, drinks very little and is a great talking point. I had a go in it when the owner came round to mine last year. His name escapes me but it from up north, Crewe i think
sorry i dont sell viva parts any more.
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed May 23, 2007 8:36 am

There's a few HCs around here (Crewe/Nantwich) including one family that has about five between them, but I haven't heard of a diesel one.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Diesel Viva

Postby pbottomley » Wed May 23, 2007 10:38 am

Paul, It was a chap from Shewsberry, It was 'Ford Blue' HC estate and was
running on an old Ford Couier (read fiesta) 1.8 Turbo unit... he also had
several "kits" of engine / gearboxs of the 1.6 turbo variety. He did tlak
about the rear crossmemeber just needing to be reversed and most things
fell in place without to much work (one persons easy is another persons
nightmare of course)

I was there when he came over in the transit to get a load of body panels
off you, and he brought some pictures.

I know it was a long time ago (a year plus) but I do remeber the car myself
pbottomley

Postby psl » Wed May 23, 2007 3:45 pm

still not 100% logged into my memory bank yet. You may be right, he came over to me first in the car, then came back again for some parts, or the other way round. Either way it was in good nick and ran really well.
sorry i dont sell viva parts any more.
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hbpeter » Wed May 23, 2007 9:01 pm

Cheers for that, gives me a few things to ponder!! :? Does the HC crossmember fit the HB?
Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby dbltrbl » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:42 pm

A bit offtopic but i installed Vauxhall Carlton (opel rekord here) engine + 5 speed gearbox to my Vauxhall Victor while ago. Turbo + intercooled was mounted also, i did some testing and fuel consumption was about 7 litres/ 100 km. Car has 3,9 gearing and that must be changed to 3.54 so i can get rews down a bit.

here some pics: http://www.kolumbus.fi/~w409073/sivut/estate.htm

kristian
dbltrbl
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby lisbon_road » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:19 pm

Also slightly off topic but I have seen an HB diesel in Malta, where they fit diesel engines to everything it seems.

No idea what the engine was though - had a massive gearlever so probably changed the box too.
lisbon_road
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Modifications