vented discs conversion

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Re: vented discs conversion

Postby SL1256 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:16 pm

yoeddynz wrote:does anyone know if mantas share the same top and bottom ball joints etc as vivas- ie would a manta up right swap across onto a viva?

Pretty sure they are not the same and its not a bolt-on fit. Ive heard of someone who had the uprights modified to take viva balljoints but dont remember the specifics.

Steve
'74 HC 4dr - 5.0 SBC V8 *IN PROGRESS*
72 Rover P6 2000SC - Daily hack/project *GONE*
91' Ford Thunderbird 3.8SC aka Chunderturd *GONE*
SL1256
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lambaj » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:16 pm

Stub axles from later Vauxhalls etc use a different taper for the ball joints. Very dangerous to just "bolt on", will result in broken suspension, and subsequent broken wallet !
May be possible to re-machine the taper in the stub axle uprights, but then you will have pain with the steering arms also needing re-tapering and the ackerman angles may need correcting as the steering arms will probably be the wrong length, and height.....
Also hub bearings from the vivas will not work on stub axle, and if you keep matched hubs, your stud pattern will also be out (4x100mm, not 4x4inch).
All can be resolved, but its a lot of work.....
Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:54 am

well it certainly sounds like a lot more work than the offerings shown in this thread !

I'm gonna go hunting for disks
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby damion russell » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:20 pm

regarding the renault 21 discs if i were to fit standerd discs after machining the holes would they be a cheap replacement for my viva hc 1256 discs
damion russell
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:32 pm

damion russell wrote:regarding the renault 21 discs if i were to fit standerd discs after machining the holes would they be a cheap replacement for my viva hc 1256 discs

I wouldnt have thought so - the renault discs are quite a bit thicker , so the existing calipers would be useless me thinks. :wink:

Jon
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:54 pm

one would of known that having read the thread ?
pbottomley

Postby ian24ian » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Im new to vauxhalls, but have built a few mix n match braking systems....
Savanna disc, is approximately the same size as the stock solid disc, I am assuming the Magnum uses the Girling M16 calliper, You can buy a spacer kit from somewhere like Rally design for the calliper,which will save a lot of work.. going this route will not make your brakes any better than stock, other than the vents giving better cooling, you have the same swept pad area, same dia of disc, and the same calliper piston size, you gain nothing other than new discs and pads, However all is not lost, Austin princess Callipers are 4 pot, and use the same bolt pattern as the M16s, these will give you much more pad area and have a similar piston CSA as the M16, so there is no need to change the master cyl, you will need to but a spacer kit, again from Rally design. If you want to keep the appearance of stock brakes but with upgrades, you can use the Mk2 Granada caliper, known as the M18, this was available as a wide calliper. this bolts on gives you more pad area and uses the same piston size as the M16, If the Vauxhall uses the M16 Girling calliper, both these callipers will bolt onto the stub axle.
Pads--- Good pads are really a worthwhile purchase, I have a favorite, EBC Green Stuff, not aggressive to the disc, and dont need warming up like many performance pads like DS22s.
Condition of discs plays a big part in the performance, if your discs are rusty, even slightly, this will clean off the disc, but will embed into the pads, now dosent sound like a problem, but you will not clean this off the pads, all you have done is glazed the pads, which again will glaze the discs,
Tires, your braking is only as good as your tires, as soon as you have locked up, you have lost 90% of your front retardation, good tires are as important as good brakes, Bigger discs dia dose not necessarily give you better brakes for the reason of tires, BUT what they will do is give you a better feel to the brakes, I was running 330mm discs in15" wheels on my last car without a servo, I never locked the brakes on that car no matter how hard I pulled up, but would lock the wheels if I stood on the brakes,
Finally, Servos--- They do not improve you brakes!!!!!!!! what it does is lessen the pedal pressure at your foot. and lessen the pedal feel.
A rotter and a scoundrel, :)
ian24ian
GT Viva
GT Viva

Location: Sunny Bexhill, any further south, and my feet are wet!!!!!!!!

Postby vitaminc74 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:35 pm

viva calipers are NOT m16 !! they ARE imperial .. you could fit m16 .. but have to drill / tap the stub axles to m12 . if you use the standard bolt , you will get brake judder .. i have just recently fitted m16 calipers to my viva .. cost / availability being my main concern
vitaminc74
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby ian24ian » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:06 pm

OK, if they are P16, there are shoulder bolts available from Landrover, or get your friendly machine shop to make 4 thinwall spacers to sleeve the imperial bolts.
A rotter and a scoundrel, :)
ian24ian
GT Viva
GT Viva

Location: Sunny Bexhill, any further south, and my feet are wet!!!!!!!!

Postby viva2300 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Viva 1300 calipers are P12 .....1800/2300 cars use P14....Droop Snoot Firenza used P16
S. EAST AREA REP
1972 Viva 2300 SL 4DR
1973 Viva 2300 SL 4DR + one on paper.
1973 Viva 2300 SL EState
1973 Viva 1800 SL 4DR not for long
1971 Viva 1600 SL 4DR AUTO
1974 HP Firenza Droopsnoot

TOO MANY CARS NOT ENOUGH MONEY OR TIME
viva2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext