Type 9 box ?

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Type 9 box ?

Postby Jarrodm » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:40 pm

Hi, is there any way of putting a type 9 ford box in hc viva ?

Or, what is a popular gear box to use when converting engines etc...

The engine is obviously not a problem, just the back end i need to worry about as i havn't got much experience/knowlege of vauxhalls.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jarrod
Rust Is Not A Crime
Jarrodm
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby xwv2300 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:15 am

what engine you using??? box will fit may need to cut new lever hole and fabricate xmember mounts ,bolting to the engine is more tricky.
xwv2300
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Jarrodm » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:16 am

Well, obviously my first thaught was an XE. And I Know they make a bell housing adapter for a Type 9 Ford box. So that was my first line of thaught.

Whats the most common parts used in a Red Top conversion on Hc's ?

Up until now i've been a Ford bloke but i'm quite liking them now....Well except for the starter motor !

Thanks for the reply !

Jarrod
Rust Is Not A Crime
Jarrodm
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby bodyworx » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:44 am

For an XE or LET conversion, you'll need to find yourself a bigwing manta 1800 sump and pickup,and preferably the alloy engine mounts as well.

Most folk use the manta 1800 box (getrag) , as its an easier fit, although if you want to do the type 9 conversion or the carlton/ omega route, you can with an adaptor, but it makes the box a bit longer and you need to look at handbrake /gearstick relocation and reforming the gear tunnel etc.

A fair bit of work, but ok if youve got time and a big heart! :wink:

Also dont forget, you need to look at , bigger brakes / suspension upgrade / rear axle and a fabricated propshaft as well, to name but a few other areas you need to consider for a conversion.

Good luck!
bodyworx
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:26 pm

just to add to Bodyworx's post, SBD make steel sumps and mounts for the XE, might be worth a look if you cant find 1800 manta bits easily as the alloy sump and mounts go for a fortune on fleabay...

gearboxes-

the Carlton box is a fair bit bigger than the Getrag one from the manta so it may need tunnel mods to fit and it has a donut flange on the tail. The manta one is a good strong box, goes straight on an XE and definitly fits ( with fabricated mounts..) But I think the one to go for is the type 9 ford box. It has better ratios than the Getrag, its cheap, easy to get and fits in the hole ,but you need a bellhousing to mate to the XE.

once its in the hole, it may need bulkhead mods to clear the dizzy/coilpack depending which type of engine you have...but the rest of its pretty straightforward. :D

scott
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Modifications