Got it !!!!!! - hope its not catching!

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Got it !!!!!! - hope its not catching!

Postby Jon-HPF » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:13 pm

Finally got a suki 1300 jeep type thingy !!! so goodbye to the Beemer hello mud splattered wreck of a jeep with 1300 block and a 5 speed box - plus all the fiddly bits which will probably be needed to shove in the viva e.
So , after its mot later this month the viva is in for a shock with some johnny foriegner trying to make its way into the engine bay :wink:
i'll load some pics when i get the time.
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:45 pm

We want a full write up lad, with pics so we can all use this excellent idea :D
pbottomley

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:00 am

You putting all the 4wd stuff in as well? Or is the Suzuki not 4wd? (don't know anything about them).
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Jon-HPF » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:19 pm

Yes its a 4wd but it has conventional rear wheel set up - engine and box , theres a small prop from end of box that fits to a transfer box that drives front and rear axles . So no I wont be using any of he 4wd stuff - just the engine (all alloy OHC 1300) plus alloy 5 speed box .
Its quite a big lump for a 1300 but shouldnt cause too many probs other than the fact that the dizzy sits at back/to top of block and sticks out at an angle of about 45 degrees towards the o/s of the engine bay ! Because this is so close to the bulkhead-obviously this will determine how far forward the engine sits , this in turn will determine where the gear lever is going to be - in my estimation it should stick out of the tunnel slightly closer to the dash than a ZF box ! - Lucky i got long arms :D
Had it running today - all sounds / looks ok engine could do with a damn good service though . Its also got electronic ingnition and a conventional - albeit *Bleep* factory fitted autochoke carb . I may convert that to an SU or even webber if i can get one at a good price - theres quite a lot of aftermarket tuning parts available for these engine plus the fact that normal parts are readily available . Cheers - Jon pics 2 follow intime ! :wink:
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:07 pm

[img][img]http://www.vauxhallviva.com/vivaforum/userpix/202_032_1.jpg[/img]
All looks ok - clutch cable (not hydraulic) simple mechanicals no fancy electronics apart from ignition . Rubbish carb (can be upgraded) slim manifold (exhaust) sturdy engine mounts. Quite a big lump for a 1300, but should be ok fitwise -obviously will lose the rad housing on viva .
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:48 pm

Just thought I'd show some pics of the other mods ive added, Suzuki Swift GTI 1991 seats / overhead light-clock & mirror surround / slim door pockets . Later viva pedals . New "torpedo" type door mirrors.
Other pics to follow on = front & rear anti roll bars , strengthened lower arms , snoot & headlight cowl refurb.
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

initial fitting of Suzuki engine

Postby Jon-HPF » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:44 pm

[img http://www.vauxhallviva.com/vivaforum/u ... _001_2.jpg[/img]
1st pics - Not as bad as i thought - dizzy not too high as it would foul bonnet - but it needs to be quite close to bulkhead .
next pic - sump clearance ok - the pick up area of the pan fits niceley between anti roll bar and engine subframe.
next pic - this is obviously going to determine that the gear stick will be a lot closer to dash than the existing viva 1300 .
last pic viva & sooki boxes , dimesion wise quite similar but theres no speedo drive unit in sooki box !
Over the weekend intend to get the box in position and hopefully set about cutting the old viva xmember engine mounts ready to fabricate new ones.
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:39 am

EXCELLENT

this ones been banded around for a while now, I havent seen one done yet though! well done for getting the spanners out and good luck!
:D

keep the pics coming!! :D

scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:34 pm

can't wait to see more pics :) I used to be on an American off roaders' site, and a fair few of them had sj413s, and a couple of them had fitted the 16v Swift GTi engine.
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

update Sunday 14th Aug

Postby Jon-HPF » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:51 pm

ImageImage
That dizzy caused some problem - had to cut away some of the bulkhead in order to get the sump clear of the lower frame - plus cut away some of the lip on the lower edge of the engine frame (xmember) so sump wouldnt rub against it . Thankfully ive managed to keep the heater but will have to make up a new fan housing cos of the new recess - also will have to refab the heater cowl so it follows the new lines and not foul the dizzy :? Got a bit carried away with the box tunnel - just have to weld in a new top piece now - but at least its given plenty of clearance if i need to just remove the box (clutch changes etc) Gearstick is at the same location as an OHC so no real probs there - nice big stick though - rather ZF'ish . Managed to use existing gearbox xmember (turned it around) and the sooki box mount just needs to be bolted onto it .
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Modifications