What's your HP estimate?

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

What's your HP estimate?

Postby Gotzy » Wed May 27, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi Guys,

Being new to the Vauxhall world I'd be interested in some experienced opinions on how much HP the motor in my HB GT might be puting out and any comments that may help learn about the items fitted.

It's a 2.3 slant with
Blydenstein big valve head (how much bigger than stock are the valves?)
Lightened flywheel
Reworked/lightened con rods and reworked bearing caps (not sure what the modification to the bearing caps would be as I'm used splayed 4 bolt mains on small block Chevs)
Gerry Marshall inlet manifold with twin 2" SU's (2" sounds a little large to me)
Electronic ignition with Aldon distributor
4 to 1 tubular exhaust manifold

No information on the cam fitted, are aftermarket items common?
I know there are a lot of variables in it's tune which could be debated but what ball park figure could be expected at the flywheel?

Also does any one know a good tuner that might be able to maximise this setup around the Portsmouth area?

Cheers

Steve
Gotzy
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby hbpeter » Wed May 27, 2009 9:36 pm

A standard 2.3 on twin 175(1"3/4) Strombergs gives around 110bhp. The 2" carbs should be ok considering the improved breathing on this engine. At a guess I'd say around 160bhp??

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby Gotzy » Thu May 28, 2009 1:23 pm

Cheers Peter, I figured 150 ish so it should be fun...

You mentioned in my Intro thread there were some nice rare parts, which parts what's specifically rare and why are they good? A general question I know but you know what I mean. I assume it's the intake, head and distributor yeah?

So how much power can be pushed out of these motors then? I'm talking hot street rather than race motors (even if the difference is usually only the cam and compression ratio). Speaking of which what compression do these motors normally run?

Are speed parts still available for these motors and if so from who / were?

Steve
Gotzy
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu May 28, 2009 4:35 pm

Rare bits - don't often see SUs on these engines, usually Strombergs as standard, or Dellortos for an upgrade. I guess the Aldon distributor is pretty rare as well. Blydenstein heads aren't so rare as they were very popular.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby hbpeter » Fri May 29, 2009 10:31 pm

Get in touch with John Sharp Engineering. He builds the OHC engine. He will be able to tell you whats available and whats possible.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Return to Modifications