HA Accelerator Pedal

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

HA Accelerator Pedal

Postby SPEEDY » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:17 pm

Just wondering if anyone has ever changed a standard HA accelerator pedal with the rods etc for a HB/HC floor mounted pedal with cable?Or is it possible to convert the existing pedal to cable?
Reason being that I think a cable set up will be better for the Weber DCD Carb I have fitted. Currently I can only get around 75% of the full opening of the chokes.
So before I start to mess around with the rods anymore I just thought I would ask about the pedal.
Obviously my next question would then be, does anyone have a pedal assembly going spare? :D
ImageImageImageRETRO VAUXHALLS OF THE VIVA KIND
SPEEDY
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lambaj » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:55 pm

Yes, can be done.
Needed a cable system on my V6 for the 4 barrel carb. I think I used a ford cable. I fitted a modified bolt to the reinforcing brace bar on the bulkhead top panel (near the wiper motor) to accept the outer part of the cable. Then I removed the pedal return spring and used the spring attachment hole to connect the throttle cable.

I have tried to photo them, but its hard standing on you head !

You can still attach the pedal spring, but I thought it better on my car to ensure that the springs closing the throttle on the carb were up to the job and are strong enough to lift the throttle at the same time rather than risk the cable binding (leaving the throttle open) and not being able to feel it on the pedal.

With this method, you will not need a spare pedal either and can re-instate the old rod linkage should you remove the carb etc.

Good luck
Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby SPEEDY » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:19 pm

Thanks again for your reply Tony. Sounds like a fairly easy conversion then, but only because of your knowledge. You are the MAN !

Thanks for taking those pictures too, I understand exactly what you mean, and will get on with the conversion shortly. :D

Will be nice to get the full benefit of the 2nd choke. :lol:
ImageImageImageRETRO VAUXHALLS OF THE VIVA KIND
SPEEDY
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Modifications