XE conversion

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

XE conversion

Postby MsAnna » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:35 pm

I am looking for advice on an XE transplant into my viva hc.

Im not new to conversion so I roughly know what is invloved.

Does anyone had a parts list of the items needed for the conversion??

Any hints , tip or previous experiences with this conversion would be grately accepted.
MsAnna
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby rtlkyuubi » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:00 am

you will need a ford type 9 gearbox and a bellhousing adaptor. Also depends on what fuel system you want, injection or carb? also what ignition system you want.
rtlkyuubi
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby oli8925 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:04 pm

I've really been thinking about this lately and was thinking of posting to see if it had been done before to a Viva.

Its always been a two horse race for me between a V8 and the Redtop, but i think I've finally decided I would prefer the Redtop, maybe a turbo too.

Won't be able to do this for quite a few years, but I'll keep checking this thread all the same, I'm very interested in the work that's involved.

If you do do the conversion, please please cover it in depth in a thread of its own! I'm guessing you are keeping rwd?
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby MsAnna » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:14 pm

oli8925 wrote:I've really been thinking about this lately and was thinking of posting to see if it had been done before to a Viva.

Its always been a two horse race for me between a V8 and the Redtop, but i think I've finally decided I would prefer the Redtop, maybe a turbo too.

Won't be able to do this for quite a few years, but I'll keep checking this thread all the same, I'm very interested in the work that's involved.

If you do do the conversion, please please cover it in depth in a thread of its own! I'm guessing you are keeping rwd?

Well the V8 think went through my mind too , but I have a v8 capri and have almost enough v8 bits to do another conversion.

I have a cavalier redtop here so Im going with that .

I will start a thread with the conversion and the build but Im going to get the viva Mot'd first then start on the conversion.

If anyone has a Manta Gearbox and sump then please let me know :D
MsAnna
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby oli8925 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:32 pm

You have a perfect taste in cars. Although of course you do, otherwise you wouldn't be here :lol:

I've beeen thinking for a while, rather than the XE, i would quite like a turbo, hence the LET. I was wondering if there was any reason for not using this engine, specific weaknesses etc? Also, would thios prove difficult in uprating other parts, i.e. the manta g/box and usual replacement uprated prop etc would not be strong enough for the LET? Just wondering if you could give me any tips from your experience. There is a completely standard calibra turbo close to me and i dont think the owner would take much tempting....

I'm very much looking forward to your project build! :D

Oli
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

xe conversion

Postby gtwannabe » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:10 pm

it has indeed been done before try contacting ( xegt ) hes got one and may be able to help with a parts list :P
when in doubt flat out
gtwannabe
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby gtwannabe » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:12 pm

meant to say its a hb but it will be basically the same
when in doubt flat out
gtwannabe
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby MsAnna » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:19 pm

oli8925 wrote:You have a perfect taste in cars. Although of course you do, otherwise you wouldn't be here :lol:

I've beeen thinking for a while, rather than the XE, i would quite like a turbo, hence the LET. I was wondering if there was any reason for not using this engine, specific weaknesses etc? Also, would thios prove difficult in uprating other parts, i.e. the manta g/box and usual replacement uprated prop etc would not be strong enough for the LET? Just wondering if you could give me any tips from your experience. There is a completely standard calibra turbo close to me and i dont think the owner would take much tempting....

I'm very much looking forward to your project build! :D

Oli

I dont see any reason for the LET not to work , it will be similar coversion except more pipes and an Intercooler.

As the for the Drive train , Im not sure what would be best . 200bhp is alot to put through a 1.8 manta gearbox but its Getrag so it prob would be ok ,

You would need good uprated brakes and rear axle too :)

Would be great to see it dont though , If i had access to an LET unit I would fit it without a doubt :)
MsAnna
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Modifications