Inertia reel seatbelts

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Inertia reel seatbelts

Postby sportston » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:40 am

Another recent modification, for anyone who may wish to do likewise.
Viva HC 1974 2 door 1256cc
I had the original static belts in the front. I don't like the lack of safety of static belts and one of the receivers was not working.
So I fitted a set of seatbelts from another two door car. A Citroen AX to be specific.
Why an AX? Because the receivers on the AX bolt to the side of the seat runners and have short stems. Most others were either pricey or had long stems. So I bolted the short receivers to the brackets on the transmission tunnel and they fitted great. The next part was fitting the interia reels. I drilled a hole in the rear side panel and welded an old seatbelt bracket with a captive nut to the metal behind the interior panel (you could probably weld a large washer and nut instead, but you may want to beef the area up a little so it will be strong and safe in an accident). Bolted the reels on. Next the lower bars had to be fitted (which allows for the seatbelt to slide back out of the way so that rear passengers are less likely to trip over the belt getting in and out). This part was easy. Bolt the bar to the old seatbelt mount at one end, then mark where the hole for the other end would need to be. Remove the bar and drill the hole. The end of the bar has a hooked shape which can be manouvered into the hole and then the front part bolted back onto the old seatbelt mount.
Sounds a bit complicated, but actually its fairly simple. If anyone wants to copy what I did:-
Make sure that you get the whole kit and not just the belts. You'll need all the bolts, spacers, receivers and bars. Also keep all of your old bolts and spacers as you may have to swap one or two of them. It should cost you within the region of £30.00.
I will try to add some pics of the finished article soon.
PLEASE NOTE: should you wish to copy my actions, do so at your own risk. Make sure that everything is strong and firmly fixed. Seatbelts need to be strong enough to save your life! Blah, blah...
Good Luck
Tom
sportston
SL Viva
SL Viva

P.S.

Postby sportston » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:43 am

you may also find that belts from other Citroens and Peugeots will fit also. Check out your local scrappy.
sportston
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Spence » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:31 am

still to this day you'll find most manufacturers are using the same size bolts with the same imperial threads as they did when our cars were new!
only difference maybe the style of head on them...

i used a hybrid of corsa / astra H / vectra B.

For 2 door models, i seriously recomend the use of Astra H 3 door lower belt anchor rails, allows sliding the belt back towards the pillar to make it easier for rear seat passengers to get in and out
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

piccy

Postby sportston » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:04 pm

Here is a pic or two for anyone who would like to copy.
It is worth noting that the seatbelt reels are very slightly tilted so as to be at the correct angle. To do this you will have to fit the right side to the left and vice versa.
If you get them the other way around you won't be able to pull the belt out.
Attachments
resized receivers.JPG
Short stem seatbelt receivers from Citroen AX
resized receivers.JPG (190.57 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
resized seatbelt.JPG
Seatbelt, inertia reel type from Citroen AX.
resized seatbelt.JPG (22.65 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
resized inertia and bar.JPG
Inertia reel and bar
resized inertia and bar.JPG (64.99 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
sportston
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Modifications