HB estate

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: HB estate

Postby ADRIAN » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:27 am

I use silicon brake fluid on all my classic cars. If all your brake parts are all new, now is the prime opportunity to use it, (as silicon fluid does not like to mix with old mineral brake fluid.) Silicon brake fluid from Automec (expensive but worth it) has many advantages over mineral fluids. As its not Hydroscopic, it does not absorb any water vapour which standard brake fluid does. Standard brake fluid should be replaced every 2 years because of the water that is absorbed into it, but people just dont do this, just leaving the mineral fluid in their brake system for many years, to slowly damage cylinders (the water in the fluid results in corrosion) and the micro metal particles floating around in the fluid in the system, will slowly wear away the inside of cylinder bores. That is why sometimes fitting new seal kits to old cylinders do not actually cure any fluid leaks, because of the damage caused to the internal bores. Silicon fluid is also good for lubricating the rubber seals, and helps prevent corrosion to caliper pistons which seize them up. Silicon fluid means caliper pistons do not seize up -----never. And the silicon can be re-used, over & over, so if work is done, like replacing a cylinder at any time, keep the old silicon fluid, (I put it through a fine filter) and re-use. So, it is cheaper than standard mineral fluid in the long term.
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:54 am

Thanks for that Adrian, I couldn't see how silicone fluid would rot the seals, but I read somewhere that if you mix it with mineral fluid, it would swell the seals to the extent that il would effectively seize the cylinders, I think that's what the guy from the car spares shop had learnt, as everything is new in the brake circuit, I'm going to use silicone fluid for the same reasons as you
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:13 pm

Moving on, had a look inside the petrol tank, Its been off the road since 1999 & I've owned it for 5/6 years, I drained the fuel that was left not long after I bought it & was expecting to see quite a bit of crud in the bottom of the tank but unexpectedly, it's as clean as a whistle, tested the gauge while I was there & it works reasonably well, shows full at upper stroke & shows just above empty at downward stroke & moves the gauge steadily between the two, replaced the steel pipe between tank & pump with cunifer brake pipe, seems to be about same bore so should be OK
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:14 pm

moves under its own steam now,
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:02 am

looks amazing
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby BobbyMel » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:58 am

Looks great John...
HB 368

1970 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....114 BOB
1969 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BDH819G
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BOB 33E
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....NHA 764F
1987 - Austin Montego 1.6L....E375 JRV
1995 - Rover 216 Coupe....N622 VOA
BobbyMel
Top Viva Spotter

Postby Fred Dukes » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:07 pm

Did you put the Brabham exhaust system on it :?:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:25 pm

Thanks guys, no Fred, the Brabham exhaust is for the saloon
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby cooperman » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:38 am

Very nice John
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun May 01, 2022 6:44 am

Little bit more done, grill fitted, brakes finished, some of the interior done, & some pics with my other estate
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration