Re: 1964 Viva HA

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Postby Al3x » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:04 pm

niftynevins wrote:Hi Alex the points gap is 19 to 21 thou. Have you checked the low tension lead from the coil to the points. They are a common cause for cutting out. Usually they look fine from the outside but break up where they are tied in a loop inside the distributor cap. If you have another one swap it over and try it.
Good luck

Hi!
Yes i have looked at it, and it looks à bit bad, but if i bend it and try to start it doesnt start.. But Will try to replace it! Thanks

/alex
Al3x
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Al3x » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:59 am

Condenser is changed, also the low current cable between the dizzy and coil. No different..
Can the dizzy cap make this? Feels weird since it only is like this when hot.. The sparkplug cables might be bad? But that shouldnt make it die only when its hot? From the plugs i think its running very lean, or that the ignition suddenly changes totally. The plugs very white when i checked.
I might should change the dizzy cap and the cables, but it doesnt feel like it should be that either? I almost think its something with the fuelsystem. Can something with the carb make it run lean while hot? It whould want less fuel when hot so i dont really understand..
Any idea of what it might be is gladely taken! When i start it the first time of the day its running really nice, when i put the foot down it actually happends things. But then after maybe 2 minutes its dead..

//Alex
Al3x
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby niftynevins » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi Alex sounds to me more like an issue with the fuel system. From the description it sounds like it will idle but won't rev is that right? Have you cleaned out the fuel bowl and jets?
I assume it's got the downdraught Zenith on it? If so when you take the top off check the needle and seat as they can stick intermittently.
When you clean it out don't forget to pull out the drain plug for the bowl and you will need to remove the jet inside there (screwdriver through the drain hole) this is usally the first jet to block.
When it's all clean fill the bowl with fuel and fit the top and then crack open the throttle and check the accelerator pump is pumping fuel through the nozzle inside the venturi.
If you do this with the carburettor off check the gaskets and the emulsion block between them as they can crack and allow air in.
There is also a few checks you can do for the fuel pump assuming it's still running the mechanical one? Has it got a seperate fuel filter in the system? If so is it blocked or restricted? Also there is a little gauze filter inside the fuel pump that can block up. If it's the origonal pump you should be able to undo the screw and take the plate off the top and clean it out. While your in the area it is worth pulling the top off the pump and checking the diapragm it may have dried out while it was in your shed and have a slight hole in it that opens up as it warms up.
Let us know what you find
64 HA Viva Brabham GT restoration project
64 HA Viva Deluxe Adelaide assembled restored
64 HA Viva standard Adelaide assembled restored

37 Vauxhall 25HP GY Sloper restoration project
53 Vauxhall Velox Ute original
71 Vauxhall FD Ventora 2 restored
niftynevins
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Al3x » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:28 pm

Hi! Yes sometimes it can idle but usually if it dies you have to ler ut be for à while before it even starts again. Yes, everything in the fuel system has been cleaned, carb, pump, tank etc. Its à solex carb, but might be the same? I have no fuel filter but i Will fit one!
The pump i have had apart and cant find Amy fault, but havent tested any more since. Were going to replace the spark wires but didnt have everything needed now.
Thanks!!

/alex
Al3x
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Al3x » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:47 pm

Was out on another testdrive after school today, which ended with being towed home as usual..
Starting to get bored at this now, new spark plug wires and another dizzy cap was on for this time. I have also changed fuelpump back and forth a few times, but this one have to work! Though when it stopped now it didnt get any fuel to the carb, Fuel gauge is in the middle so i thought there was fuel but now im not so sure since it feels like the tank might is empty when i shake it. Feels stupid if it whould be that though. Tomorrow i will get some more fuel and try again, aanything i should do before the next testdrive?

//Alex
Al3x
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby niftynevins » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi Alex if it cuts out again take the top off the carby and check if there is any fuel in the bowl. If there is no fuel you know it is definately this and not an electrical issue.
Assuming there is no fuel you need to check the system from the carby back to the fuel tank. First point is the needle and seat if it is sticking it won't let any fuel into the bowl. The second thing is to make sure there is no restriction from the pump to the carby. Has it got a rubber hose? Sometimes they can appear okay from the outside and can collapse inside causing a restriction. So you have tried a different pump? When you had it off did you test it by pushing the arm up and down and making sure it sucks? It should make a fairly loud noise (hard to explain in text).
You could test that it is pumping fuel on the car by running some fuel hose into a drink bottle or jar on the carby side of the pump then take off a coil lead so it doesn't run and turn it over on the starter motor. You will see straight away if it has any fuel pumping through.
I moved to Stockholm last week so I will PM my phone number, give me a call if necessary.
Cheers Andrew
64 HA Viva Brabham GT restoration project
64 HA Viva Deluxe Adelaide assembled restored
64 HA Viva standard Adelaide assembled restored

37 Vauxhall 25HP GY Sloper restoration project
53 Vauxhall Velox Ute original
71 Vauxhall FD Ventora 2 restored
niftynevins
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Al3x » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:11 am

niftynevins wrote:Hi Alex if it cuts out again take the top off the carby and check if there is any fuel in the bowl. If there is no fuel you know it is definately this and not an electrical issue.
Assuming there is no fuel you need to check the system from the carby back to the fuel tank. First point is the needle and seat if it is sticking it won't let any fuel into the bowl. The second thing is to make sure there is no restriction from the pump to the carby. Has it got a rubber hose? Sometimes they can appear okay from the outside and can collapse inside causing a restriction. So you have tried a different pump? When you had it off did you test it by pushing the arm up and down and making sure it sucks? It should make a fairly loud noise (hard to explain in text).
You could test that it is pumping fuel on the car by running some fuel hose into a drink bottle or jar on the carby side of the pump then take off a coil lead so it doesn't run and turn it over on the starter motor. You will see straight away if it has any fuel pumping through.
I moved to Stockholm last week so I will PM my phone number, give me a call if necessary.
Cheers Andrew

Thanks for the tips!
I know that the fuel pump is pumping fuel, atleast when its off the car..
Yes it has à rubber hose, Will replace that!
Yes, testing the pump on car i have done à few times, and when it died yesterday it didnt pump as much as usually, but as i Said i dont know if the tank was empty.. :roll:
Oh, thanks! I Will be in touch if needed!

//alex
Al3x
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby shamm » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:31 am

Don't forget to check the short rubber section which connects the fuel line to the tank at the tank end!
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Al3x » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:32 pm

shamm wrote:Don't forget to check the short rubber section which connects the fuel line to the tank at the tank end!

Everything between the pump and tank is new! :)
Al3x
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Al3x » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:32 pm

Now its running! Dont know what made it though, but dont really care! :)
Allthough on my way Home this night when i was pushing it abit harder it started to slip on the clutch.. Hopefully some adjustment is all thats needed! I think it runs very Hood, cant really complain on the acc :) and the heat is working fine! oh yes, it seem to leak oil from the valve cover and oil filling Hole.. Maybe it have gotten oil on the clutch..

//Alex
Al3x
SL Viva
SL Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration