Viva GT - resto thread - recap and restart

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: Viva GT - resto thread - recap and restart

Postby jpsmit » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:09 am

Opinions wanted:

One of the tasks I have to perform is to sort out the seats of the car. There really isn't the budget for a full on re-trim. Fortunately, I have 5 front seats to make two out of. The real issue is not actually the upholstery but the seat bottom frame. I find that I have good frames and lousy upholstery and vice versa. So, cutting to the chase. I have one frame where the upholstery is good and the frame is good but one piece (see pic) is not

My initial thought was to switch the upholstery to an entirely good frame, but, now I am wondering whether it would make more sense to cut out the good front piece and add it to the existing good rest of the frame and upholstery.

I realize that the front piece is welded in place - but would cut that out and replace with bolts.

So, what do you think, swap in the front piece with bolts or swap out the upholstery onto another frame?

thanks all! I d appreciate this.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:36 am

Well, I am starting back to it - went to my MG part guy - got various clevis pins, brake connectors etc - and an MG Midget fuel tank sender which I think will work.

Also, brake hoses - which, you will note perfectly describe a GT on this side of the ocean! (his label!)

ImageUntitled by John-Peter Smit, on Flickr
Last edited by jpsmit on Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:59 am

AND I have come to a conclusion of sorts - I actually have a relatively small pile of parts that still need to be attached - however, the brakes and engine loom large on that list!

I had planned to plumb the brakes and then install the axles and engine - This isn't going to work, in part because too many dimensions are too approximate off the car. Soooo I plan to install the axle (not the engine) and the front subframe - then, with the Master Cylinder and servos in place I can plumb it - even if I have to remove it again to get the engine in place. This should get me motivated and moving again!

So, tonight, I almost finished with the axle and, sadly had to touch up the paint on the arms - even though I refinished them, they have been batted around enough that paint has scuffed off :roll:

At any rate, tonights progress

jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:18 am

jpsmit wrote:So, tonight, I almost finished with the axle and, sadly had to touch up the paint on the arms - even though I refinished them, they have been batted around enough that paint has scuffed off :roll:

Always the way, unfortunately - I've been through the same. Come to the conclusion now that the time to finish them is when they're on the car, and you've finished jacking it up.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:01 pm

Just be thankful that you didn't splash out and get them powder coated..... A spray of paint is a lot easier to sort out.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Colin » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:53 pm

Is it just me or is that Viva GT rear axle a thing of beauty?.... Okay, it's just me... :lol:
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:26 pm

I reckon it's second only to a Magnum one..... :lol:

I much prefer the solid rods for the handbrake than the magnum cables. I converted mine by substituting the cables for 4mm threaded stainless rod with nylock nuts fitted with the rounded heads against the stirrups.

Allows for a better adjustment but you need to be careful not to upset the operation of the self adjusting brakes if they are fitted.

OOOHHHH! Just spotted the red paint and the GT stripes in one of the photos.....nice..... :D
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby jpsmit » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:54 pm

Colin wrote:Is it just me or is that Viva GT rear axle a thing of beauty?.... Okay, it's just me... :lol:

:mrgreen:
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:55 pm

1972nail wrote:OOOHHHH! Just spotted the red paint and the GT stripes in one of the photos.....nice..... :D

:thanx:

but look again (bad pic I know) Tasmin Orange not red. :D
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:11 am

Well friends, spot the difference.

as it has been for a very long time

On tires!

Outside? Outside!
jpsmit