HB estate

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: HB estate

Postby ADRIAN » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:37 am

Sorry, yes RAL 7006. Bought off Ebay item number 174203092427 Drys quickly on the fibreboard but takes longer on plastic surfaces. (stays tacky for a few days) Spray it on during a spell of hot days is best. I found that its not petrol resistent, so dont carry petrol cans in the back!
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun May 23, 2021 2:21 pm

Been a while since I done any work on this, life got in the way :? , anyway back on it now, started by fitting up the doors. Bought new weather seals & door seals from rare spares last year & these are good quality items, the only issue is that one of the clips is about 20 mm off on the door seals but that's an easy fix. Thought I'd share a couple of tips I discovered while fitting the weather seal & stainless Steel trim clips. Firstly the weather seal, these I find are a right royal pain to do as you have to pull the clips up through the window aperture with a hook shaped device, had a rummage through my odds and ends box & found this

This helped immensely as you can put a screwdriver through the hole to help pull the clip up while holding the seal in position with your free hand

The trim clips can be a mission to fit also, you have to be careful pushing the locking pin in as it's a tight fit & tends to go off piste when your tapping it in, when you come to the drop glass part there's not enough structure there to tap the pin in so I used a pair of water pump pliers to squeeze the pin in
20210522_171724.jpg
20210522_171724.jpg (39.94 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Sun May 23, 2021 2:26 pm

Useful tips there John!
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby jpsmit » Mon May 24, 2021 3:53 am

John, many questions. I have generic weather seals and door seals. They seem to fit fairly closely but,

1. where might I find the clips?

2. Do you have a picture of a clip (or clips - are they different for each side?) as I might have some

3. Do the trim clip locking pins go into the door seal or just press against it?

4. I presume the rubber goes in the window channels first?

probably more questions but, thanks so very much!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby ADRIAN » Mon May 24, 2021 9:23 am

The door weatherstrip "U" clips I have in stock. In the Vauxhall "body" book it shows how to fit all the door seals and the "T" plastic clips. Home made special tools to fit the "U" clips and a punch to push the centre of the plastic stud.
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Mon May 24, 2021 9:34 pm

ADRIAN wrote:The door weatherstrip "U" clips I have in stock. In the Vauxhall "body" book it shows how to fit all the door seals and the "T" plastic clips. Home made special tools to fit the "U" clips and a punch to push the centre of the plastic stud.

thanks for the reminder about the Body Book - and, re the clips you have PM sent.

thanks!
JP
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Johnboy HB » Fri May 28, 2021 12:02 pm

Hi JP
This is how I done it. The window channel sides go in first, then the door glass & quarterlight assembly go in together ( bit of a fiddle), then top window channel, slide door glass to the bottom so you have access to fit the door glass seal, this is the type of clip used
IMG_20210528_112822.jpg
IMG_20210528_112822.jpg (8.8 KiB) Viewed 1489 times

Then I fitted the stainless steel strip retaining clips
70600-1-Mid.jpg
70600-1-Mid.jpg (16.23 KiB) Viewed 1489 times

These I bought from a company in England called bresco, they don't go into the door seal, just rest against it, then fitted exterior door handle, rest of the lock components & finally, window winder assembly.
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Fri May 28, 2021 12:56 pm

This is helpful! thanks, and I may well have those clips - off to the garage :)
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:06 am

Getting there slowly, refitted all the glass, nos badges, new number plates, new front indicators, good used headlamps & bumpers, now looks almost done, still a few more jobs to do, interior still needs work, refill gearbox oil fit tail lights, reversing lights, e,t,c. One of the jobs left is to bleed the brakes, everything is new including brake pipes so I was going to use Dot 5 silicone fluid, however,
the chap at the car spares shop seems to think that it will rot the rubber components, not heard of this so if any of you have used this & had/have not had issues I would be interested
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:10 am

Some pics
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration