1970 GT

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1970 GT

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:18 am

lord13 wrote:The 12 gallon fits under the boot floor, has a rounded top, is fitted from underneath the car, and there is a separate panel that bolts into the boot floor to mimic where the 8 gallon tank would fit.

Yes, underneath the chassis rails, bolting into captive nuts in the lower face.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:53 pm

droopsnoot wrote:
lord13 wrote:The 12 gallon fits under the boot floor, has a rounded top, is fitted from underneath the car, and there is a separate panel that bolts into the boot floor to mimic where the 8 gallon tank would fit.

Yes, underneath the chassis rails, bolting into captive nuts in the lower face.

Phew, thanks. I have the big tank but with the SL shell, every once in a while something doesn't translate. Most of my summer has been COVID - house and MG in that order. However, shed renovations brought the tank to light with its attendant anxieties. :roll:

:thanx:
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jamezz666 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:42 pm

Bit of an update

I fitted a 4 branch manifold which is the worst job i've done on this car so far! I drove the car for a week and the radiator blew directly in the centre and water went every where, and at the same time the front stromberg carb decided to pee out fuel due to a float valve... couldn't make this stuff up :lol: so at that point i thought sod it.. off with the carbs and fit the twin Dellorto 48's 8) i don't have a throttle pedal as the twin cable linkage set up, doesn't make sense on the throttle end, as its a giant square block... and from what i gathered from dellorto's pdf of the twin cable set up, you have to do some chopping and welding to your pedal :shock: which i thought sod that! But anyway here is a picture of the engine bay so far. I'm still in the process of getting the car to run right with them.
Also a big thanks goes out to David Maxwell, for helping me out with information on the carbs.

I also have a little surprise which only 1 member has known about! over the past 3 months i've been gradually reproducing some GT parts. It's always bugged me that many people have wanted parts for there GT's, but not many people have really pushed to have anything remade.. so i've took out most of my spare time and money, to making my own moulds and casting parts, which i found takes a lot more time and money than i first thought :roll: all the prototypes i've made, are cast in semi impact plastic and they are cast from original parts.
so far i've made steering wheel centres as pictured/ Bonnet scoop trims/ i'm in the process of making centre console speaker panel and the centre console switch/handbrake panel. It will be a while until i start selling them and they will be sold at cost with no profit at all, as i'd rather just help out the club and benefit from the feeling of helping others :D

I'll keep things posted when i can

James

jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:26 am

well done James! congrats on the new parts, that is very exciting!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jamezz666 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:33 pm

Here is some of the bonnet trims and some of the vauxhall victor centre badge. I've only done the victor centres, as it come with that steering when I purchased it some time back, thinking it was viva GT

jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:25 pm

are you casting the bonnet scoop trim out of 'plastic' or are you doing them in metal?
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jamezz666 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:41 pm

jpsmit wrote:are you casting the bonnet scoop trim out of 'plastic' or are you doing them in metal?

They'll be cast out of plastic. I did purchase the equipment for casting out of aluminium, but that wont be started on until late next year or the year after
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:36 am

Sent the viva in for a dyno test and the guy called me saying he won't do it, as the head gasket is peeing out oil, from the side of the block (I'd never noticed it before), he said the timing is really advanced, but when he retarded it the car died and lastly he said the twin dellortos are scrap and he said I need to buy a pair of new webers instead :cry: . I've now put it in to a container, to forget about for a while.. too much of a headache for me now.
Also found the below item for sale the other day and bought it, as I've never seen one before! The chap did say he cast it out of aluminium.

jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Colin » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:10 am

Sometimes a rest is needed for a few weeks or months, James. You've achieved a lot in quite a short time really. Maybe look at it again in the new year?

And what a great plaque!

The only slight technical error is that the cars were actually built at Kimpton Road, Luton... :oops:

Perhaps we should let that pass... :lol:

(There isn't a Luton Road actually in Luton, but there are Luton Roads between Luton and nearby Dunstable, Harpenden, Toddington and Caddington among others.)
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:58 am

jamezz666 wrote:he said the twin dellortos are scrap and he said I need to buy a pair of new webers instead

I'd take that bit with a pinch of salt, or at least get a lot more detail on exactly what's wrong with the Dellortos. With one or two notable exceptions, there is a general preference for Dellortos over Webers on a slant four engine, and has been for decades. There's even a story that Weber sent an engineer to DTV in an attempt to "convert" them, and left after a few days when he couldn't quite get them set up as well as the Dellortos.

I'd want to know exactly why the Dellortos are "scrap" before dropping the best part of a thousand quid on a pair of new Webers. Maybe he's right, but I wonder what could render them unrepairable.

Head gasket leak sounds as if it's the O-ring, if slants of that age have it.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration