tom selik lands

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: tom selik lands

Postby craig12 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:14 am

it was a nice find in the box of spares mitch, its a sort of ivory glue looking stuff thats in the letter 0 , got i/2 of it out i never noticed the 1800 symbol wasnt on the grille at the car show you attended and photographed
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby craig12 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:27 pm

an eventfull day today , had car on tickover for 5 minutes checking the lights and she cut out , didn't want to start again , had a word with mitch who suggested a couple of alternatives and she fired up , but now after turning ignition off ive got the engine running on for 5 seconds or so , then checking the washer bottle and filling up the windscreen stalk broke off , old cars hey
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby craig12 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:53 pm

feels more official that ive got the magnum as the v5 arrived this morning , im always a bit sad when the previous owners is higher than 2 but never mind 4 previous 62000 miles ish , which cant be a bad thing :D
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:09 pm

That's pretty fast, nine days to get a V5 back from the DVLA. I wouldn't worry about the number of owners on a car of its age. When I bought my daily driver, it was just under three years old and I think had five previous keepers even then.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby craig12 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:46 pm

having a nosey round the interior of the magnum , cup holders in the glove box lid dropdown, and revolving ash trays in the back doors , magnificent
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:56 pm

craig12 wrote:having a nosey round the interior of the magnum , cup holders in the glove box lid dropdown, and revolving ash trays in the back doors , magnificent

Well ahead of it's time....
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby craig12 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:02 am

just taxed the magnum for 12 months (why do you have to tax something that's exempt) surely they can do it from the dvla end just a waste of paper and postage to me :?
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby craig12 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:06 am

craig12 wrote:having a nosey round the interior of the magnum , cup holders in the glove box lid dropdown, and revolving ash trays in the back doors , magnificent

is it me or when you think of viva /magnums owners back in the day , do you not conjure up an image of a bloke with a pipe and cardigan , holidaying in devon or cornwall , (those cardigans that had the buttons that looked like hot cross buns)
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:03 am

craig12 wrote:just a waste of paper and postage to me :?

Paper and postage? Surely you'd just tax it on line?

At one point it was an annual check to see that you'd had the car MOTed and it was insured, at least at the point of renewing the tax. As the MOT is not an issue any more, and I'm told that the online renewal doesn't check anway to allow for cross-update delays between the various DVLA and MID computer systems, it seems even easier to "get away" with renewals if something isn't quite right.

Besides, if they just renewed it automatically, they wouldn't have an opportunity to fine people who don't do it on time.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:53 pm

Owners renewing tax and SORN adds a bit of a check on the DVLA data base in that a taxed or SORNed vehicle still probably exists and the registered keeper info is kept up to date. That means that there is a check on who owns what, where it is and if it is likely to be roadworthy. Without any checks there is to potential for ringing, theft, fraudulent use of registration numbers etc.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration