1974 Magnum Restoration

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

1974 Magnum Restoration

Postby reb78 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:30 pm

So, we finally got the old girl to my workshop at the weekend.

She has been laid up since 1990, started occasionally, but not for about five years. My cousin and I got her going on Saturday and on Sunday she drove onto the trailer for her trip to Cornwall where work can start.

Bodywork at the moment looks like - both wings need (replacing really), inner wing on the driver side (bonnet hinge area), chassis rail on the driver side, rear sills toward the arches and the rear arches. The rest is surprisingly good though now that I have had a good look on the ramp.

Mechanically she is pretty sound - front brakes are seized and the brake lines and exhaust need replacing. She starts fine from cold but is a bit troublesome to start when warm (lot of backfiring yesterday) - this is new and we haven't had this issue before. I wonder if the carb is gummed up and needs a rebuild, if i drop 15-20ml of petrol into the carb I can get her running again.

I will put updates on here as we go. It wont be fast work, but I hope to start to make some progress now.

reb78
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: 1974 Magnum Restoration

Postby reb78 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:31 pm

On the ramp in the workshop

reb78
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: 1974 Magnum Restoration

Postby 1972nail » Wed May 15, 2019 8:20 am

That will be a nice car. 2 door Magnums are quite desirable.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to Restoration