Two part prop refurb

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Two part prop refurb

Postby VampireTigger » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:57 pm

http://www.propshaft-services.co.uk/

The rubber of the centre bearing for my Estate was shot. Since the props are damned near impossible to find I've taken it to these guys and they have refurbed the prop for me.

The centre bearing is the same as the one on a Morris Marina except the attachment flanges are longer. They have use my old one as a pattern and welded the attachment flanges of the old bearing unit to the replacement Marina one then they've gone over the rest of the prop, re-assembled it and painted it.

£96+VAT which I thought was fairly reasonable.

The prop for my Magnum was in a pretty poor state so dropped that one off with them when I collected the Estate one.

If you want a two part prop sorted out these guys can help. They can also arrange collection and delivery.

They did price up for a production run of the bearings, they would be £50 but a minimum order of 500 so I think this refurb route is the best option it you need this problem sorted out.
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Two part prop refurb

Postby rizzo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:15 pm

Looks like a dodgy link my comp has blocked it, worth mentioning
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:16 pm

Glad you got it sorted, and a reasonable price too. Not all two piece props are the same. Earlier props have a smaller bearing with a 1" inner diameter whereas later ones are 30mm diameter. So if you wish to use a modified Marina bearing a special sleeve will have to be made up.

The 2 piece Magnum one will have at least one CV joint instead of a UJ and will be far more difficult and expensive to refurbish properly.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby VampireTigger » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:29 pm

rizzo wrote:Looks like a dodgy link my comp has blocked it, worth mentioning

They haven’t put a security certificate on their site, they don’t know IT but do know propshafts.

Without a security certificate Google Chrome will flag a warning
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby VampireTigger » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:37 pm

1972nail wrote:Glad you got it sorted, and a reasonable price too. Not all two piece props are the same. Earlier props have a smaller bearing with a 1" inner diameter whereas later ones are 30mm diameter. So if you wish to use a modified Marina bearing a special sleeve will have to be made up.

The 2 piece Magnum one will have at least one CV joint instead of a UJ and will be far more difficult and expensive to refurbish properly.

Both my SL 1800 Auto Estate and Magnum 1800 props have the CV and were 30mm. For 1 inch a Ford Transit one could be a suitable start point, I bought one i error if someone wants it.

In both cases they’ve checked the UJs and CV on mine and said nothing needed changing but if they did have issues I’m sure these guys could resolve them. They build propshafts on site.
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Restoration