Door Handle question

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Door Handle question

Postby jpsmit » Sun May 30, 2021 8:54 pm

Greetings friends, hope your day is as lovely as it is here today.

Quick question - I am working to reinstall the outside door handles. As I look at them it appears that there is a paper gasket that does between the handle and the body. Does this make sense? Is it available? can I just make one? do I need one?

thanks all and cheers!
John-Peter
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: Door Handle question

Postby cooperman » Mon May 31, 2021 8:13 am

I don't have an HB but I would have thought a home made thin rubber gasket would be a good idea, helps stop water ingress an the metal handle rubbing on the paint.
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Mon May 31, 2021 1:14 pm

good point - off to do more research
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:42 am

still haven't sorted out the backing for the door handles, but, tonight I got to be a locksmith. A few years ago I had had the door handles re-chromed and tonight (finally) was the time to reassemble. First job was making sure that I had two locks keyed the same. I have a key and a door lock and an ignition that works (or at least turns) - so, pulled the one assembled door apart, and found enough pieces to assemble a second set. Then started pulling and replacing pins until I had a pair that fit. Managed to get them all together (who know you could put it together upside-down - I do, now)

Anyways all together and everything turns as it ought (haven't installed it all yet - maybe tomorrow) But, belatedly thought to check and, unbelievably, the key works in the trunk.

So, at this moment everything works with one key except the glove box. I started to dismantle it and realized that now was a good time to stop. But, anyone know how to dismantle the lock on the glove box? I have found the grub screw and removed it but I wonder if the latch need to come off for the lock to come out. anyone have any ideas?

thanks all! cheers
JP
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby caribougone » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:45 am

Can't help with your question, no lock on my glovebox, but thought I'd add something from when I was getting my locks working. You probably already know this but when you dismantle a lock, look for a little number. My car came with a couple single-sided keys that required a frustrating amount to wiggling and finesse to turn. I took a lock apart (found it should have a double sided key) and there was 145 stamped on it, searching this forum I learned my key should be an FT type. So I ordered a NOS pre-cut FT145 key from the UK and it works perfectly on ALL the locks - both doors, trunk, and ignition. The only issue is it has "FoMoCo" engraved on it! :shock:
caribougone
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Restoration