HA

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Postby pbottomley » Sun May 13, 2007 9:12 pm

Dont forget to swing past us kat!
:D
pbottomley

Postby psl » Sun May 13, 2007 9:20 pm

I just happen to be flogging one on ebay as i type, item number 300109633577.
Not the a great pic but you get the idea
sorry i dont sell viva parts any more.
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Clara » Sun May 13, 2007 9:21 pm

Kat wrote:Nope. If a fault causes excess current to flow through the device the bimetallic strip heats up, bends, and opens the contacts, which breaks the circuit. The strip then cools back down again, closing the circuit. If the fault's still there this will repeat. The result - flashing lights.

It's a clever idea on a lighting circuit, better than a fuse which, once failed, stays failed. These things automatically reset.

So, if the lights are flashing, the first thing I'd look for is a fault somewhere causing excessive current flow. The breaker sounds like its working, it's doing exactly what it's meant to do.

Ahh okay I understand that's rather a funky idea. So could this be a voltage regulator type worry?
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Clara » Sun May 13, 2007 9:24 pm

psl wrote:I just happen to be flogging one on ebay as i type, item number 300109633577.
Not the a great pic but you get the idea

awww you had me all excited that you were flogging a tame electrical type person :(
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby psl » Sun May 13, 2007 9:25 pm

I can flogg with the best of them :D
sorry i dont sell viva parts any more.
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Clara » Sun May 13, 2007 9:29 pm

Kat wrote:Clara, what you need is a tame electrical/electronic engineer with a thing for old Vauxhalls... I wonder where we might find one... ;)

If you want to leave the electrics for now, I can drop by with meter, soldering iron and other gubbins. I'd expect to have the lot sorted out in the space of an afternoon.

I've plenty to do on the car (the list wont stop growing!) for now if you're willing to bounce down here sometime and have a look at the wee beast. :D

*happy excited bounce*
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kat » Sun May 13, 2007 9:54 pm

Clara wrote:if you're willing to bounce down here sometime and have a look at the wee beast. :D

Certainly, it'd be a pleasure to assist in the resurrection. Most of the faults sound like poor connections here and there. The main lighting circuit fault sounds like there's a current path to ground somewhere which isn't through a bulb filament, hence the breaker's doing what it's meant to do. It's all the sort of fault-finding I like doing. It'd be a fun day out for me. :D

And "bounce down"... I see Emma's rear suspension's left a lasting impression... ;)
Kat.
Kat
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Clara » Sun May 13, 2007 10:12 pm

Kat wrote:And "bounce down"... I see Emma's rear suspension's left a lasting impression... ;)

It certainly was an interesting :shock: experience!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Previous

Return to Restoration