Firenza

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: Firenza

Postby phil dawson » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:37 pm

1972nail wrote:It's always good to see progress being made. Back to the bracket again, the spacing of the ribs on it may give a clue. The only 3 places where those ribs are used are inner wings, interior floor and boot floor. If the spacing matched one of those then you could have narrowed it down a bit.

Thanks, some progress always better than none true, even though it has taken this long!! Right, don't think it can be from boot or inner wing and can't think what it could be from interior floor either??
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby phil dawson » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:40 pm

droopsnoot wrote:
phil dawson wrote:1) The bracket - still none the wiser as to where it came off of, may find out some day!!!!

I'm glad you updated this - I remember someone asking about this bracket, but couldn't find the post.

Anyway, I believe it's the engine restraint bracket for vehicles that use the older-style gearbox mount (not the round rubber, the one with two squares moulded together), and it's function is to help stop the engine jumping forward in the event of a sudden stop.

I'm not 100% certain, but I've been doing a lot of looking at the gearbox mounts recently while trying to find mine. If you look at this appalling hand-held photo of a bit of the manual, I think it goes where I've shown with the badly-drawn red arrow.

01062016103.jpg

It's worth adding that while I said above that I don't recognise it, I have since found two in my boxes of stuff while looking for something else. I can think of one car it might have been removed from (and have the early crossmember and mounting to go with it) but not where I got the other one.

This sounds to be the most logical explanation although I can't recall removing this part at the time of strip down (it was a long time ago though!!). Next time I'm down at the shed, I'll have a look and see, thanks for your suggestion/diagram.

Phil
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby fistfullofV5's » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:01 pm

Hi,I'd agree with the above explanation of the bracket and here is a pic of the rear gearbox mount on my Firenza 2000SL. I have to admit that I hadn't thought about its purpose before now.
Regards,Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby phil dawson » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:34 pm

Perfect photo Dave,
Thank you very much, put that dilemna to rest!!!

Phil
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:24 am

Great bit of detective work there, Miss Marple would have been proud of that. :lol:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby phil dawson » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:41 pm

A few updated pics, the sharp eyed amongst you will have noticed the change of venue, had to move to another shed after car got sprayed, big airy shed but very dusty!!!!
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby phil dawson » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:43 pm

A few more
Attachments
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby phil dawson » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:48 pm

Happy so far, can't wait for more progress
Attachments
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby phil dawson » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:21 pm

Headlining in place now, windows going back in tomorrow.
Attachments
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:19 pm

Looking good Phil
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration