Firenza

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: Firenza

Postby 1972nail » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:20 pm

Looking good :D
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby opelscott22 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:18 pm

christ its bright in the sun eh?!

Good to hear you got a workshop sorted, keep the progress up, summers coming! (apparently)

Scott.
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby phil dawson » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:54 pm

Folks,
It's been ages but I'm still alive and kicking and still in possession of my Firenza, still not completed but slowly getting there.
Have made a start to putting bits back in place since I brought it home from paintshop and into new shed.
Currently awaiting return of engine from engine builder, had a couple of problems with parts but getting there and should have it home soon.

Cheers,

Phil
Attachments
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:37 am

:D :D :D :D
Looks great!

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby phil dawson » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:05 pm

Thanks,

Can't wait to get her back on the road, really has been far too long!

Phil
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby phil dawson » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:40 pm

Anybody here used POR-15 Tank sealer on their fuel tank before?
I bought a kit from Frosts, de-greaser/cleaner goes in first and then washed out, then its a bottle of metal prep and another wash out, get it properly dried out before adding a tin of tank sealer. Got to seal up all openings and then swirl the contents around the tank to ensure coverage. Then comes the messy bit, you have to drain off the excess sealer. Well, there is no naturally easy drainage point in the fuel tank, the fuel filler neck has an internal protrusion through the wall of the tank that stops any liquid running out and the fuel sender opening is quite awkward as you need to get the tank sitting at just the right angle for any surplus liquids to run out. Needless to say there was excess sealer getting most places apart from back into the tin that I was trying to catch it into!!!
According to the tin, the stuff is dangerous as well.
Anyway, job done now and left it in the shed to dry out overnight. Will see tomorrow morning how good or bad a job I've done with it.

On the subject of fuel tanks, I don't suppose you can get gaskets for the fuel tank sender opening? Guess it will be a case of make your own is it?

Cheers,
Phil
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:15 pm

Before fitting your sender are you sure it's working? Check using by an ohm meter. Resistance of about 20ohms at full and about 200 ohms at empty.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:38 am

Believe it or not the correct readings are in the official Service Training manual. 17 ohms full 260 ohms empty. These are the readings with the unit removed. Mine was measured with the sender in the tank , that's why my empty reading was only about 200 ohms as the float was touching the bottom of the tank.

Also it seems that the 8 gallon tank has the same readings. Has anyone investigated repairing a 12 gallon sender with parts canabalised from an 8 gallon sender?

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:16 pm

phil dawson wrote:On the subject of fuel tanks, I don't suppose you can get gaskets for the fuel tank sender opening? Guess it will be a case of make your own is it?

Probably easiest. 2682469, shown as the same for 8g or 12g tank, not listed at Vauxhall Green Parts but haven't looked anywhere else. Thin cork, as I recall.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:24 pm

Checked out an 8 gallon sender. It's basically the same unit as the 12 gallon. The float leverbends are different and the 12 gallon one has a fuel pick up pipe fitted. I think I'll keep the 8 gallon one I was going to put on ebay as an organ donor if needed.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration