Uncle's Viva 2300

Have you got yourself a barn find and want other to know?

Uncle's Viva 2300

Postby barrymckeich » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:15 am

Hi All.

Thanks to the administration for allowing me guest access.

My uncle was an avid Vauxhall Viva fan, but he sadly passed away earlier this year.

Amongst the many Vauxhall related items we are currently looking through at his house is this car that was buried within his garage. I am no car expert, let alone a Vauxhall expert so would be keen for any feedback on this model.

We will be looking to sell it so any indication on value would also be welcomed, but not the main purpose of this posting.

It looked like my Uncle was customising the vehicle (he bought it new in 1972 - still have original receipt) having used it as his main car originally. Having had a look around the car it looks like he has removed any external locks etc. (the boot appears to have an electronic opening device installed). We think he was hoping, back in the day, to bring it up to racing standard.

Any feedback, thoughts, insights would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Barry
barrymckeich
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Uncle's Viva 2300

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:06 pm

Hi Barry thanks for sharing your find with us. I have add a number of these early HC 2300's
- I have sent you a private message
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby rizzo » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:44 pm

Thats an interesting find, i first thought i knew the registration number as i sold a plate from a car 9 years ago with similar digits, with that it mind your plate alone will be £1500 upwards if it can be transferred i would get that valued.
As for the car i guess it all depends on the overall condition and what has or has not been done too it, and whether its all there,the pics would suggest it in good condition, being a two door 2.3 its also a rare car so worth more than the norm assuming it can be put back to original condition.
I would put it on ebay or enter to a classic auction, i highly recommend DT Mathewsons of Thornton le dale https://www.google.co.uk/search?source= ... ent=psy-ab

they do free collection aswel
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:06 pm

According to the Vin which Barry has sent me it is a 4 door - As for Mathewsons I bought the red one, shown in my previous post, on commission bid from there and was disappointed in the roadworthiness that was claimed - when I had a chat with the guy there - he said it was fine and had driven it round the local area - I had it delivered to me and when I tried it up the farm drive it would not stop - 0n investigation the front callipers had been sprayed with silicon grease and the rear brakes were rusted up - it came with a new MoT. :roll: Different people have different experiences when dealing with businesses you only get a true picture when you have had a number of regular dealings with a particular business
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby barrymckeich » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:28 pm

Thanks Fred for all your information and help so far - and thanks Rizzo for your advice.

Think we are stumped on the number plate, have had quotes around the £2k mark so you are about right, but as the car has been in the garage for so long and i can't get it to start so i don't think we can claim the plate.

Will look at the various auction locations and see what they offer.

Cheers

Barry
barrymckeich
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:34 am

I imagine that plate will be stuck with that car for life now given how long it has been off the road. I dug a viva out of a hedge 2 years ago GOI 1275. Tried to get the plate off it to sell on to the Mini men but the DVLA were having none of it. Yiu can put a personalised plate on the car if you wish like VIVA 2300 if that exists but the original registration can't go anywhere...
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby barrymckeich » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:24 pm

Thanks for that - your thoughts on the car reg appear to be what i am finding out too.
barrymckeich
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:03 am

As I understand registration transfer rules, there's no longer a need for the donor car to have a valid MOT as long as it's been in continuous ownership (either taxed or on SORN) for more than five years, and can be demonstrated to move under its own power. Presumably the latter condition is dependant on them deciding whether or not to send someone to check.

Obviously if the registration is marked as "non-transferable" then that doesn't apply, but that tends to be age-related registrations issued by the DVLA when someone sells an original one. For example if I had an old car with a good registration and managed to transfer it and sell it, the DVLA (or whatever their name is now) issue me with a replacement registration for my old car, of around the same age. To prevent me just milking the DVLA for a regular supply of registrations to sell, the replacement plate will be marked "non transferable". There's a story of a plate "1 AN", which would be worth a decent amount of money to anyone called "Ian" with a bit of cash around them, but as it is marked "non transferable" it's on a Morris Minor for life.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby HC Fairley » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:14 am

That is correct Droopsnoot. The problem I faced with my donor car was it had not been taxed or sorned in about 10 million years which immediately made it impossible to ever transfer the plate. Had I £30,000, a welder and a year of free time at my disposal it is possible the car could have been returned to a condition in which it could safely move under its own power, but even at that, the registration mark would still remain non transferable. The car in question must meet all the criteria or it is a no go.

I assume this was implemented to prevent people from profiteering off registrations from the DVLA over and over again as mentioned by yourself.
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Colin » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:53 pm

Back to the car itself, as Fred has established from the chassis number and Barry suggests by telling us about the removal of door locks (handles?), and as appears confirmed by the second picture, it looks like this car is a four door - and none the worse for that.

If it is all there and not too far from standard this could be a very desirable and worthwhile project for the right enthusiast.

I think Barry might like some guidance around the car's possible value but, as Rizzo says, it's difficult to value without information around the state of preservation of the bodywork, engine, running gear and interior etc.

As a rough guide rusty incomplete, non-running four door 2300 cars (when they very rarely surface) can still be had for as little as £1500 or less. At the other end of the scale (again very rarely surfacing) very good four door examples might change hands for upwards of £6-7k.

Two door 2300s will sell (again rarely) for somewhat more, and 2300 Firenza / Magnum coupes in good condition are now worth well into five figures.

Other contributors may have differing views around possible values for four door 2300 Vivas... :lol:
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Found a Viva in real life?