Viva HA Brabham Project

Have you got yourself a barn find and want other to know?

Re: Viva HA Brabham Project

Postby MauroV » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:09 pm

Well, I bought it. :D And the parts car. They get delivered on Wednesday. The Brabham probably straight to my local garage. The Brabham has been repainted, in the same colour. There is some very light surface rust on the sills and it needs the underseal redoing but it's remarkably solid. The spare wheel well is perfect. It has been off the road since 1985 but kept in a basement. I was interested to see the front anti-roll bar. See pic. I assume it's a Brabham thing and wasn't usually fitted? The interior trim has red door cards but black seats. The parts car has red seats so perhaps I'll swop them over. I don't think either colour was a standard fit for a beige car. The carpet is beige. The only down side is the engine is seized. Hopefully, it is recoverable. The parts car has 2 engines, one fitted and one in the boot, not exactly like a VW. So, hopefully one out of three won't be bad. The 3 extra instruments in the centre console area are repeats of the instruments on the binnacle so they must be after market.

The parts car is badly rusted around the boot and the spare wheel well. I guess it is not salvageable? Its also LHD. That probably makes it rarer than the Brabham :D So my plan is to strip it for spares then scrap it unless anyone has a better idea.

So, first thing for the Brabham, get it running, overhaul the brakes, tidy up the interior and take it from there. My daily driver is a Fiat 500 Giannini so I'll see which one I prefer then sell the other :)

Regards

Mauro

The parts car is
Attachments
MauroV
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Bob perry » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:40 pm

Brilliant, and well done for saving them both. I'd like to come up and see it sometime, and maybe buy some of the spares from the other one please.
I think it's right to have red seats and interior with a beige car so correct in swopping them over.
I'm interested in the black seats, if you are disposing of them, and wouldn't mind the front axle assembly if you are scrapping the donor car!
Give me a p.m and I will give you my mobile, so we can have a chat.
Well done for saving a very interesting car. I'm very envious!!
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:17 pm

Well done on saving a very rare car. Whats the reg numbers for both cars so I can add them to the register?

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby MauroV » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:36 pm

Hi Bob

Once the parts car gets to my house I'll post some better pictures and ask for advice from the club members if it is saveable or not. If the answer is no then I would be happy to offer up the parts, including probably the black seats. It depends if the red seats will clean up and if they are not ripped.

Hi Peter

The Brabham registration number was HYL75C. Chassis number HAD 5179317. I'll get you the information on the parts car when it arrives here later in the week.

Cheers

Mauro
MauroV
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:57 pm

Thank you, the DVLA has no record of that reg number any more. Please let me know the spares car info when you get it.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby MauroV » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:16 pm

Hi Peter

Yep, the car was exported to Italy in about 1985. It was bought by an Italian Waiter who worked at the Mitre Hotel, Hampton Court and he took it back to Italy with him. That explains why it has been off the radar for so long. :)
MauroV
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby MauroV » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:19 pm

Hi Peter

The parts car has now arrived at my house and I have had a chance to have a close look:

It's LHD and I was surprised to find that it was originally registered in Switzerland. I don't know if this is useful for your register but the details I have are as follows, from the service book:

Chassis Number: HAD 5192835L Engine Number: 20HA 213259

2 June 1965, there is no registration number written anywhere but the address was Bern so it would have started 'BE'.

The car also came with a spare engine, I can get you that number if it would be of interest.

At first sight I think the car might be saveable. I need to find out if it would ever qualify for an Italian number plate which may not be possible as there is so little documentation. I guess the condition is too poor to make it worthwhile shipping back to UK.

Regards

Mauro
MauroV
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Bob perry » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:58 pm

Hi Mauro. I'm a bit confused, not difficult at my age!!, but is the car in UK or Italy?
I thought I saw your location originally as Liverpool, but now it's Lucca Italy!
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby MauroV » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:10 pm

Hi Bob

Yes, I originally come from Liverpool but both the car and I are in Italy. I confess I was worried that if I gave out too much information before I had actually bought the Brabham someone might beat me to it. Yes, I know it was a stupid thought and I beg forgiveness of you all. :)

Mauro
MauroV
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Bob perry » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:40 pm

OK, understood, I think I would have been the same. Just look after the car and, who knows, we may be able to get over to Italy to see it some day in the future, (virus permitting) and if I can persuade my wife that a 'holiday' to Italy would be good!!!
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Found a Viva in real life?