Viva HA Brabham Project

Have you got yourself a barn find and want other to know?

Viva HA Brabham Project

Postby MauroV » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:58 pm

Hello

I am thinking about purchasing a Viva HA Brabham. The car is a non-runner and really quite expensive, it seems to me, at £6000. On the positive side it's rare, its in reasonably good condition and it seems to be complete.

Please take a look at the pictures. What do you think?

-Does it look genuine?
-It is a good price?
-Any opinions on what it might be worth if I get it running and cleaned up but leave it unrestored?
-Any opinions on what it might be worth if I clean everything up and get a respray?
-What are your thoughts, should I go for it or should I run away? :D

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge, wisdom and opinions. :thanx:

Mauro
Attachments
MauroV
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Viva HA Brabham Project

Postby 1972nail » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:33 pm

It certainly seems to have all the correct Brabham bits. Interestingly it has SU carbs and not Strombergs. If it is a real Brabham HA it will be an extremely rare car and certainly worth investing in.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby cooperman » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:22 am

I am only aware of one other HA Brabham and I think that is in Australia. Not sure how you quantify an original Brabham but that plate looks original. Is there any history or paperwork to back up the claim? As regards price it's difficult, possibly only a few of these in existance means its super rare, although as with all Viva's, rarity doesn't equate to value. I would have thought a 9-10k car when in concourse condition
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby MauroV » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:54 am

Thanks for your comments. In my research on here, the owner of the HA Brabham in Australia said he spoke to Jack Brabham in about 2005 and he confirmed they converted 20 of them in total. But it seems only a very few of them survived.

Apparently the owner of this one has lots of paperwork so I'm arranging to take a look at that, hopefully, on Saturday.

I've attached a cool picture of Jack Brabham in one in 1967.

I'm not sure if a full concourse restoration is the way to go. Perhaps it would be best to get it mechanically perfect but keep everything else as original as possible? That said, it looks like it had a respray at some point. Is that beige an original Viva colour? And it seems to have lost it's side stripes, assuming they all had them.

Regards

Mauro
Attachments
MauroV
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Bob perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:44 pm

Yes. I wondered if should have had side stripes as well, and by the look of your picture of an original, it appears to have bucket type seats, although I may be wrong!
From the outside it looks like a standard Viva, and could it have been 'Brabhamised'? with bolt on Brabham goodies. I seem to recall that kits were available from dealers once, again it might be a distant dream!!

Whatever, it looks to be a very interesting project, but PLEASE don't alter anything too seriously at this point. If it IS as you say, then it could be quite an important car!

Good luck with it. Keep us informed as to progress.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby MauroV » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:18 pm

I had some of the paperwork sent to me on WhatsApp today.

The car was originally registered in October 1965, registration number HYL75C (no longer known by DVLA). The deceased owner bought it second hand in February 1966 from Kingston Hill Motor Works, Kingston, Surrey for £660. He paid £300 cash! It is listed on the loan agreement as a Vauxhall Viva Brabham GT. Chassis Number: HAD 5179317. Engine Number: 20HA/188130.

It has the original books: 'Guardian Maintenance for the Viva', a green cover 'Owners Handbook', a 'Service book up to 18,000 miles and a newspaper cutting 'reprinted from the Sunday Express - Letting the Brabham Viva show off its Twin virtues'.

The car has an indicated 67,000 miles.

Interesting stuff. :D
MauroV
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:28 pm

Preseve do not Restore

That is all, else I will be told off for being too blunt

:thanx:
pbottomley

Postby MauroV » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:07 pm

Thanks, pbottomley. Yes, I think you are absolutely right. That is definitely the way to go.
MauroV
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:27 pm

MauroV wrote:That said, it looks like it had a respray at some point. Is that beige an original Viva colour? And it seems to have lost it's side stripes, assuming they all had them.

Regards

Mauro

Yes, the beige is an original HA colour, can't remember the name though. It is possible that the red stripe was not to an owner's taste and it was removed or maybe not to the first owner's taste and it never had a stripe.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:58 pm

Definitely not to be resprayed in the opinion of the Club - it would seem to be only the 2nd one known to the Club.
I hope your intention is to recommission to a drivable standard and enjoy it. If you decide it is not for you please let me know as it should be bought within the Club for preservation.
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Next

Return to Found a Viva in real life?