Viva HA Brabham Project

Have you got yourself a barn find and want other to know?

Re: Viva HA Brabham Project

Postby MauroV » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:44 am

Thanks Fred. Yes, of course, no-respray, especially if the paint is original. If that's a known HA colour, and with the interior metal matching it probably is original and not in terrible condition. I think the stripes were stickers so perhaps they just did not survive.

So my intention is to get her running, mechanically perfect, and preserve everything else.

Thinking about where and when it was bought and for how much. Kingston is only 20 miles from the Brabham workshop in Woking. It must be more or less a one owner car, it was only 4 months old when the deceased owner bought it and presumably some of that time it was being modified by Brabham. And if a standard Viva cost about £550 something must have motivated my guy to pay £660. So I'm almost totally convinced as to provenance.

I'm seeing the car again on Saturday, hopefully to make a deal. I've told the owner the asking price is too high but he seems fixed on his price and has offered to throw in another Viva that I haven't seen yet as a parts car!

I'm particularly going to check for front disc brakes, different rear suspension attaching points, condition of the metal underneath, more paperwork. Are there any known issues to do with condition I should check on?

I'll let you know how I get on. If I can't do a deal I'll let you know and give you all the details for the club.
MauroV
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Bob perry » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:49 am

Definately DO NOT lose out on it.

It needs to be saved from any 'dealer' handling or, god forbid, banger boys!!
If the Club wishes to buy it them count me in for a contribution Fred!!!

Worst points were the rear trims on the edges of the rear wings and front trims down the front of each wing 'hockey sticks'. The boot well where the spare wheel sits sometimes rot out, and rear of side panel where it meets the boot collects mud, and can also rot.
Check around the screen seals and lower parts of scuttle for rusting and of course sills and chassis beneath.

A servo is shown on the pictures, so it would assume that discs are fitted.

Only visual inspection can help, but from what we can see it looks very saveable.

As I say don't miss out on the chance of a half decent car!!!!

Keep us informed.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby MauroV » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:07 pm

Thanks Bob. Interesting point about the brake servo. I've attached a few more photos. Is the padding on top of the dashboard glued on?
Attachments
MauroV
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Bob perry » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:35 pm

Not sure about the padding on the top of the dash, it may well be stuck on. Mine is a plain black moulding, and I've never had cause to check it out.
The three dial set up above the glove box definitely looks like a made up addition, I've done something very similar on mine with an ammeter and oil pressure gauge fitted.

The instrument cluster looks very nice, so could be part of an aftermarket kit, or original Brabham, not sure.

Would love to see the car when you get it.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Bob perry » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:51 pm

Hi, forgot to ask, what year is the car? only it is showing white indicator lamps on the front, which are not legal these days, without a separate indicator orange light, or dual bulb lamps, one white, one orange!

Also the servo in the picture is not a Girling11A, so may have been changed, and the Master cylinder would have an additional see through reservoir and cap screwed to the top of the m/cyl to allow for extra fluid on servo systems.
I believe servo m/cyls have a slightly larger bore as well.

Not saying the vehicle it isn't all as it should be, but worth checking out.

I will get out in to the garage and get some pictures to show you later.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby MauroV » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:01 pm

Great, thanks Bob. The car was registered in October 1965. The instrument cluster looks the same as I've seen in other Brabham HA photos. Good point about the dials in the centre, I'll see if I can match them to other Brabham HA photos.
MauroV
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Bob perry » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:38 pm

Got these photos tonight. Hope they help
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby MauroV » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:03 am

Thanks Bob. I found a photo of the engine bay of the Brabham HA in Australia. It has the same master cylinder as 'mine' but you are right about the servo, the Aussie car has the same servo as yours. (Yours looks great by the way).
I'm trying to get in touch with the Aussie owner to ask if his has the 3 instruments on the centre console. Plus it would be interesting to compare the two cars.
Attachments
MauroV
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:13 am

The main dash cluster is Brabham not after Market, the there middle gauges are a home made addition however, images of the dash cluster can be seen in the original marketing paperwork / brochure from Brabham.

as for original colour, Tibetan Yellow?

Work it out from the chassis number here: http://www.vauxhallviva.com/?page_id=146
pbottomley

Postby MauroV » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:48 am

Thanks, the car is convincingly beige on the exterior (ie the dashboard and the engine bay colours all match) but inside it is a mix of red and black trim. The chassis number is HAD5179317 so that means it is either Grecian White with Calypso red, but that doesn't really fit or Cavalry Fawn with Grey Beize. That's not quite right either so I can only assume the interior trim has been changed. Perhaps some of the interior it has fitted comes from the parts car that I haven't seen yet but the seller wants to include in the sale.
MauroV
SL Viva
SL Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Found a Viva in real life?