My image is too large???

:help3: an area for website help and use guides

My image is too large???

Postby pbottomley » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:57 am

A pixel is one dot of information in a digital photograph. Digital photos today are made up of millions of tiny dots (Mega = Million).

This means that a 10 megapixel image contains approximately 10 million pixels, while a 14 megapixel image contains 14 million pixels.

Since a photo has a rectangular shape, the dimensions of one side aren't equal to the other. If we assume that we're looking at photo in landscape orientation:

A 10 megapixel photo measures 3888 pixels wide by 2592 pixels high
A 14.5 megapixel photo measures 4672 pixels wide by 3104 pixels high

If you take the width and multiply it by the height, you get the total number of pixels that make up the digital image:

3888 x 2592 = 10,077,696 pixels = 10 megapixels
4672 x 3104 = 14,501,888 pixels = 14.5 megapixels

Remember your computer monitor desktop is set-up in pixals as well, my 27" iMac is 2560 pixels wide by 1440 pixels wide, which means I can only see 1/4 of a 10 megapixels image at 100%!!!! Most people have much smaller computer screens than mine so would only see a tiny fraction of the image.

To help people see images and read text the forum asks people not to upload images larger than 800 pixels wide by 600 pixels wide.

Right how do I crop and or resize images so they are suitable to put on-line?

There are two basic methods:

One: find an on-line photo host company such as flickr, use these special software on-line to resize your images and follow their helpful use guides on how to show the images on a forum.

two: use software on your computer to crop or resize your image to a suitable size, then upload the image to the forum.

There is a world of software packages available for all machine be they apple macs or PC's some is free some you pay for some may already be installed with your camera software, it is outside the scope of the club to recommend a specific software package as we don't know the specifics of everyone's machine and or abilities... :goodluck: :goodluck:
pbottomley

Re: My image is too large???

Postby tony west » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:43 pm

So mr B...its true size does matter !!!!!
tony west
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Website Discussion