Curiosity

:help3: an area for website help and use guides

Postby shamm » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:07 pm

I'm not saying the club would not pay the fees.
Just that the committee would need to make that choice, not just me.

Steve.
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Curiosity

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:41 pm

I would prefer to pay with an old fashioned cheque and forget the 3.4% membership increase thanks.
Fred
----- Original Message -----
To: general@vauxhallviva.com (general@vauxhallviva.com)
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 9:42 AM
Subject: Curiosity

It looks like I will be taking over the membership sec. position shortly.

I don't have a problem with setting up a PayPal account to take membership fees other than the 3.4% payment receive fee.

This would make the total PayPal membership cost £21.72 for a full year.

If people are interested then I will have a think about how it would work.

Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's one 1.8 Viva and no time (HC183)

This email was sent from the vauxhall viva owners club forum
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby shamm » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:27 pm

Don't panic Fred!

This is about new payment options, not removing old ones.

Steve.
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1969vivasl » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:59 pm

Paypal is a great idea as far as i'm concerned, and even with the small % charge is still as cheap and a lot more convenient than posting payment be it cheque or postal order. Hopefully the club can go this way, of course as an extra option for those of us that want to use it. Just thought I'd add my name to the idea, so to speak!
1969vivasl
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby pbottomley » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:43 pm

shamm, any news on how your going to do this yet? would be intrested to know how? :?:
pbottomley

Postby shamm » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:39 pm

Probably by invitation.

That is prospective member sends e-mail (or web form) to me, containing their name, e-mail, car details etc.

I get e-mail and send PayPal invoice/Money request out.

They pay the invoice (this give me a way to trace it)

I process their membership as paid and send out the card.

I am still working out the more fundemental issues with the main membership database so this is a few items down the list at the moment.

Steve.
Steve Hammond

shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:39 pm

Steve

Thats how I thought you would plan it, Right if we were to use a web form and or an online email account service we would need to use a secure socket layer SSL and have a certificate for this SSL. (web forms are easy as is an email account specifically for payments, can knock one up dead easy)

The hosting package I have for the club includes a SSL but certificates are a different matter, one has to buy those extra.

Give me a call some time and lets bash some ideas out, If the memebrship details are going electronic and your all square with Data protection act I have some great ideas

PM me for contact details
pbottomley

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:11 am

shamm wrote:This would make the total PayPal membership cost £21.72 for a full year.

I don't know whether what you mean here is that the club would charge extra for a membership if the members pays by PayPal (I can't find the standard club membership charge in a quick look around the site) but isn't that against the PayPal 'rules'? I'm sure I've read somewhere that PayPal sellers cannot pass their costs onto the buyer, though that might be an eBay rule rather than general PayPal.

I offer PayPal payments to customers of ours and it generally works pretty well. Transfers out of the account into the bank do take a few days, but no longer than other similar transfers (for example we get some rebates from Microsoft and they quote 5-7 working days for receipt as well). My big problem with PayPal is that their transaction listing is quite hard to customise, making it harder than it should be to have a transfer and a list of all the payments it covers for the accounts.

I've only had one buyer protection dispute, and it was solved in our favour very quickly. I was expecting more trouble as I've been suspended by eBay before now and that was very difficult to solve, but it all worked itself out quite quickly.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Curiosity

Postby Sid » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:43 am

That's Ebay rules you're talking about there.
There's nothing to stop you passing on Paypal costs in general, but you're not allowed to do it on Ebay as the bid price on Ebay is
the price you're supposed to pay, surcharges are not allowed (except for the postal costs) regardless of the method of payment.

Sid
This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:10 pm

Agreed Sid, its one of eBay so called Laws!! Most people get around it but adding a few pence on the postage costs... but that’s another story.

The PayPal costs at the end of the day (72p) are not a lot more than a stamp and envelope and a sheet or two of paper, either way the club or you pay... that detail has not yet been discussed by the powers that be.

As has been said it’s not even a method of payment yet, it’s a discussion on alternative methods not a replacement method. No one is being railroaded into propping up PayPal bank balance, nor is this some way of making yet more money from the members to pay for beer on a Sunday night down the local. :wink: :wink:

Personally I would rather pay via PayPal as well, but lots to discuss with Steve when he gets round to contacting me!!
pbottomley

PreviousNext

Return to Website Discussion