Unused 1,159cc engine for sale

Adverts in this section of the forum are offered to all guests of the club and paid up members of the club. The parts offered are not the property of the Viva Owners Club club (this may include committee members selling their own private property).

Please follow the posting guidelines in the first Announcement post.

Unused 1,159cc engine for sale

Postby shelby98 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:40 pm

For Sale

I have an unused 1,159cc engine that I bought with the intention of using but have to concede that it will probably never happen so I need to find someone who can make use of it.

It was originally mated to an auto box which makes it pretty rare (and hard to find a buyer for) I tried a while ago with no luck.

I am asking £350 which is not that much considering a reconditioned one will cost over £1,000

I can provide pictures and a more in depth history to anyone who is interested.

It wil need to be collected from Croydon, Surrey.

Anyone interested should call Rod on 07717-175588
shelby98
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Unused 1,159cc engine for sale

Postby bedfordbad » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:24 pm

Am I right on thinking an engine from an auto car has a different block than a manual engine?
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby thomas » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:16 pm

I had always thought it was just the end of the crankshaft that would differ. But after checking, I think the basic block does too. The HB (as this is 1159) parts book shows blocks were available bare; with pistons, rods and big end caps, bearings etc., but no crankshaft; and as a full short motor with the above plus crank and main bearings and main bearing caps. In each case, bare block, partial short motor and full short motor, all were different depending on transmission type. The auto box block also seems to have different main bearing caps and bearings, suggesting a manual-box crankshaft might not be suitable to simply drop into an auto-box block. Have no hands-on experience of this, hope someone who knows (maybe Paul Bottomley) will be along soon. It also suggests the cylinder heads are different too, but in what way(s) I can't imagine, but probably minor, though enough to justify an entirely different casting.

Bit of a gamble if contemplating converting it for use with a manual box, but for an existing auto box (which could be either Borg-Warner, or GM) car, it's not to be sneezed at.
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:50 pm

The blocks are different, as the starter needs to be in a slightly different position the casting on the block where the starter bolts on will be missing on an auto block, as the starter bolts to a sandwich plate instead.

The differences in the crank shaft should only be the missing spigot bearing in the back where a larger input shaft sits in the back of the crank.

Advantages will be dual thrush bearing on the crank main bearing in the middle, otherwise cannot see anything elase to cause an issue if using one in a manual car (or attempting to use on in a manual car)
pbottomley

Postby thomas » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:24 pm

Thanks Paul.

I think now the main bearing caps differ depending on a casting number on the block, not necessarily dependent on transmission type, but the main bearing shells as a set, or the centre bearing lower shell were transmission specific.

Amazing that the automatics got the double sided thrust bearing i.e. above and below the centre main bearing back then, all Chevettes (not just automatics) didn't get that till eng no. 2111239, December 1980, after the Viva was no more. As they're reto-fittable to earlier Chevettes, they should be for at least some Vivas too.
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:28 pm

thomas wrote:Thanks Paul.

I think now the main bearing caps differ depending on a casting number on the block, not necessarily dependent on transmission type, but the main bearing shells as a set, or the centre bearing lower shell were transmission specific.

Amazing that the automatics got the double sided thrust bearing i.e. above and below the centre main bearing back then, all Chevettes (not just automatics) didn't get that till eng no. 2111239, December 1980, after the Viva was no more. As they're reto-fittable to earlier Chevettes, they should be for at least some Vivas too.

Yes I have tended to retro fit when I have bearings double thrusts, make sense at the time if you have two sets of bearings on the shelf. makes for a longer lasting engine, I guess if your vauxhall and a few quids worth of bearing multiplied by tens of thousands of engines soon adds up to a good cost saving. (aka champagne for shareholders meeting) :wink:
pbottomley

Postby shelby98 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:33 pm

That is pretty much what Adrian Miller told me when I spoke to him about it a few years ago. He told me that I should make sure I mention it was mated to an auto box as it does make a difference. Does anyone know how many automatic Viva's are registered in the UK?
shelby98
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Parts for sale from private individuals (not club parts)